Victory

HMCS Ontario's P.O.V

Though the waves were calm, and the wind was blowing at its usual speed I was still left shaken from the battle. Whether it originated from the victory itself or the battle we faced I was too tired to figure it out. I was sure many of the others felt the same as we cruised atop the ocean's surface. However, I'm sure those same people's faces would suddenly erupt in smiles as the home islands finally came into view, mine included. 

As I stared out the windows of my bridge towards the base, I watched the orange sky as the sun began lower behind the mass of land. From my seat on the bridge, I looked to the left to see Haida asleep on the floor leaning her head against the wall. Beside her sat Fraser leaning against her shoulder just as fast asleep as herself. I smiled even brighter at the sight of them as I sat up to wake the two and inform them of our arrival. 

"Wake up you two" I spoke softly while subtly shaking them. A groan escaped Haida's lips but neither of them budged at my attempt. "Come on you two, we've arrived it's time to get up" I tried again while shaking them a little more violently. This time the two of them groaned as their eyes slowly fluttered open. Haida went to stretch as Fraser flopped over and tiredly pushed herself up from the ground. 

"We're here?" Fraser said softly as she rubbed her face.

"Yes, we're almost home, look" I pointed out the window. By now the sun had fully disappeared behind the islands leaving a small orange hue that highlighted the outline of the base. 

"Yeah! Finally!" Haida jumped up at the sight of the base getting closer by the minute. "I can't wait to see the commander!"

As she said that, a more soft smile took over my mouth as I felt my face heat up. I had been so deep In thought I completely forgot about him. I was so used to him coming along with us that I guess I had just assumed he was hitching a ride on one of the other ships. I'm sure he had received the news and was waiting for us at the harbour with that warm smile of his on full display for us to see. 

I had once again gotten myself so deep in thought I hadn't realized the two destroyers were gone until something off the edge of the bow caught my eye. It was the two of them hopping off and making a dash towards the base while following many others who had thought of the same Idea. Several of the smaller ships around me deconstructed their hulls and glided off towards the base at high speeds, leaving me to laugh at their impatience before I too decided to join them. 

I quickly rushed down the stairs from the bridge and through the structure jumping through several hatches and passing through several corridors and by several rooms before hopping onto the deck like I was a child in a race against time. As I neared the chain railing I jumped over and landed on the water below. Behind me, my ship deconstructed and formed the rigging on my back. I smiled once more and followed behind the others who made their ways toward the island that grew larger in size since I last looked at it, the orange hue that once highlighted it was now completely gone leaving a lighter blue shade in its place as the night quickly began to take over. I continued to smile as I watched the island with all my interest before a hand was placed on my shoulder making me shudder in surprise. I looked over to see Quebec with a warm smile next to me. 

"How are you feeling?" She asked in a reassuring tone.

"Happy" Was all I could say as another laugh escaped my lips. Quebec's smile grew at the short answer before she laughed along with me.

"I am too, not to mention relieved eh?" 

"Of course!" 

Quebec patted me on the back as we entered the harbour together and made our way towards our docks. By now several others were hopping out of the water and onto dry land to meet with those who stayed behind.