The Open Sea

William Thompson's P.O.V

As I stared out of Ontario's bridge, I watched as her bow climbed a wave only to crash back down into the ocean allowing water to surge onboard. Finally, I could get away from my desk and that annoying arm sling. I couldn't have waited any longer to stretch my legs.

Ontario sat in her captain's chair dozing off to the warmth and silence of her bridge. That was until the telephone rang making her jolt awake and her book fall from her arm and onto the floor.

I already had a thought of who it was as I picked the phone off of the wall and answered. "Thompson"

"Sir" Vancouver's bored voice called out only confirming my suspicion. "What exactly are we doing?" She simply asked. 

"I've already told you, we're out on a patrol" 

"Then why is she here with us?" Vancouver referred to the giant Eagle Union carrier cruising behind us. 

"Because I have to look after her today"

"But why! You've been spending less time with us lately because of her!" 

"Because I've been asked by Queen Elizabeth and that's all I'm getting into. Is that all your calling for?" I then asked. Vancouver went silent only making me sigh as I could easily figure out what she wanted. "A break, is that it?"

"Yes sir!" Her voice perked up.

"What time is it?"

"Ten past two"

"How far out are the Caterham Islands?" I asked already knowing she had it planned out.

"Around half an hour North-West" 

". . .Alright we can dock there for two, But you're making the call"

"Yes sir!!" She happily shouted through the phone. As soon as I hung up her voice then broadcasted across the comms. "All ships set course for the Caterham Islands, Three-Fifteen degrees North-West" 

Ontario's hull lurched to the right as I made my way out of the bridge and up to the roof where I found the giant bow of Enterprise looming behind Ontario. 

Ever since her last battle Belfast and I had kept her docked at the base, however, I figured if I was getting tired of being stuck on land then she may have been tired of it as well, so I decided to take her with us even if she wasn't. 

An engine coming from one of her planes sent out for reconnaissance could be heard in the distance, most likely coming back to land. Suddenly a closer sounding engine could be heard turning over before roaring to life. Moments later a Wildcat ran off her deck and soared above Ontario. I watched as the plane flew higher to join the clouds.

"Sir" A familiar voice spoke. Ontario's head emerged as she climbed up the stairs. "Roughly twenty minutes out" 

"Has Enterprise reported anything in?" I asked. For a split second Ontario made a troubled face before answering.

"No nothing has come in from her" 

I nodded in acknowledgement before looking back out at the other ships. "Are you hungry?" I asked out of the blue. 

"I-I guess, a little bit" She said, confused.

"Good" I turned back around to face her. "I've heard there's a shop on the island that sells incredible Crêpes" I then said before heading back to the bridge. Ontario then smiled as she followed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Unfortunately for Vancouver, a heavy rain cloud had reached the island before we did meaning she and Sioux couldn't play on the beach. It wasn't a complete bust however, the two of them have found solace in the desserts the cafe offers.

They weren't the only ones either, Ontario and I had also sat together enjoying the desserts after I had forced Enterprise to get something off the menu. Speaking of whom, She sat alone slowly munching on a cake as she watched the storm through the window.

She is changing, slowly and somewhat unnoticeably but I can see it. She's still as stubborn as a mule though. 

"Why are you always watching her?" Ontario spoke out as she noticed me staring. when I looked back I found that same hostile nature to her she had the other day.

"Just keeping an eye on her" I tried dodging the question.

"But why?" She pressed on. "She's not of our nation nor is she some new ship in need of training" 

"Why are you pressing into this?" I asked her.

"Because!" She said in an exasperated expression. "You've been so distracted lately! Every other day you're with her and it feels like your distancing yourself from m- us!" 

"Alright number one, I can admit I have been getting a little sidetracked. Number two, I haven't been distancing myself from you so I don't understand why you guys should feel that way" I said, she only flashed me an irritated look. 

I sighed and leaned forward onto the table. If It would calm her down I might as well tell her what is going on.

"I was asked by Belfast, well technically Queen Elizabeth but we won't get into how Belfast set that up, but I was asked to look after her. If we want a bigger chance of winning this war then we need her strength. The only problem is that she wears herself down too much and lives an unhealthy life. Belfast and I are trying to fix that" Ontario's face seemed to soften up. "All she thinks of herself is a machine born to fight and if she keeps being who she claims then it will eventually grind her down till she becomes brittle and cracks. She doesn't see the human in her"

Ontario looked back over at Enterprise who was just finishing up her cake. "So she's like me?"

"Yes, you remember when you transferred to me you were as stubborn as her. You struggled to find who you were. I helped you didn't I?" 

"Yes. . ." 

"So you understand now, yes?" I asked. She only nodded with a small smile. We then continued to eat in silence until a loud crash of thunder shook the sky making Ontario jump and yelp in response. She then looked down as her face flushed in embarrassment.

"You're still scared of that?" I asked. She let out a small whine in response. I couldn't help but laugh. 

"I hate to tell you but it's getting late and we may have to depart in it" She looked up in surprise upon hearing me. "Can we not stay here?" She asked.

"Nope" I said while getting up and grabbing her empty plate. "It will get dark soon and I have an important meeting with the higher-ups tomorrow and if I want to endure that I need as much sleep as I can get. Not only that but she also needs a proper sleep schedule" I pointed towards Enterprise who was now just watching the storm. Ontario followed me as I took the dishes back to the counter.

"It's going to be rough waves" I said.

"I can handle it"

I smiled. "Go and get the others, we're leaving now"

She too then smiled and nodded. "Aye sir" She said before walking off towards Vancouver and Sioux. 

I then made my way out of the cafe only to realize how hard it was coming down and how fast I could get soaked.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~