Chapter 22

"You did what?" Maya hissed to me as we walked to her locker. 

"I panicked!" I exclaimed. I had just told her about my conversation with Katie during study period. 

"You panicked so you told her she should try and ask Lucas out? Are you an idiot?" She asked, sparing me no sympathy.

"Well clearly!" I exclaimed, "What was I supposed to say? I'd already told her we weren't dating and that he didn't have a girlfriend." I said quietly as she grabbed her books and shoved them into her bag. 

"I don't know but Ariel, for being one of the smartest people I've ever met that was really fucking stupid." She said. 

"Oh I already know that." I hissed back as we turned the corner to head to my locker. 

"I think you should've just told her you two were dating." She said. 

"I couldn't do that." I said.

"Why the Hell not?" She asked.

"Well for one we aren't. And secondly, she recognized me from the fight and knew that I saw her try to swallow him. Don't you think a girlfriend would have been a little more upset about that?" I asked. 

Maya huffed as we reached my locker and I opened it, "I am not happy about this. I've been rooting for you two." She said.

"Well take a seat." I said simply as I dropped my books into my bag. 

"No they won't last even if he says yes. I don't trust a girl who can laugh with Rebecca Wyatt I just don't." She said.

"Yeah neither do I but I wasn't just going to be a bitch right out of the gate. She was nice to me so I was nice to her. She hasn't given me a reason to not like her yet." I said, lowering my voice as we saw Miles and Lucas walk over. 

"Hello ladies." Miles said as he approached. 

"Hey." Maya and I said together. 

"And what are you two whispering about?" He asked, kissing Maya on the forehead as he opened his locker and collected his things.

"None of your beeswax." I said teasingly as the boys just smirked. 

"Do you wanna drive together or separately princess?" He asked. 

I shrugged, "I don't care, up to you." I said as I zipped up my bag and closed my locker, looking up at him. 

He rolled his eyes, "Jesus Christ I don't even know why I ask anymore. Let's go I'm driving." he said holding up his keys as I laughed.

The four of us walked out of the school together and went our separate ways, however I did not miss the glare Maya sent me as she followed Miles to his car. 

Later that afternoon we were reaching the end of our workout at the gym, taking turns holding the punching bag.

As Lucas was holding it for me during my last rotation he spoke up, "So, what did Collins want from you after class? I saw the new girl waiting there when I left." he said. 

I shrugged, "He just wanted to see if I'd be willing to send her my notes to help her catch up." I said simply. 

He just nodded, "So did you tell her you recognized her from the fight? Or did that not come up?" He asked.

"No it came up," I started, "she recognized me from the fight, but not until after it had come up." I said. 

He smirked, "So she remembered the kiss?" he asked. 

I rolled my eyes and sent a punch towards the bag, a little harder than usual, "Obviously she did. She freaked out when she found out you go here when she saw you in class. She thought you went to a different school so she only kissed you as a 'fuck it' moment or something like that." I said.