Chapter 9

Sunday was spent finishing up the last of my homework and watching Netflix in my room. Then, Monday morning rolled around and I got up and got ready for school.

I met Miles and Maya in the parking lot and we walked in together. 

"So, still nursing that hangover or what?" I asked Maya with a smirk.

She rolled her eyes, "I'm never drinking that much again. I couldn't eat a full meal until dinner last night and my family's never gonna let me hear the end of it. And can you tell your mom I'm sorry for causing so much trouble? I feel awful." She said to me. 

"Don't feel bad! You weren't any trouble at all. You got all of the vomit into the trashcan." I said, making Miles laugh loudly as we walked into the school.

Maya smiled, "Okay well I'm not going to go that wild anymore. Especially since you probably won't be at many more parties. How has the babysitting gone? Sorry I was too drunk to ask before." She asked me.

I smiled, "It's awesome. Clara is great. Her parents said she loves me and she definitely keeps me entertained." I said.

Maya smiled, "That's great." She said as we reached mine and Miles' locker. 

As I was putting my backpack in and taking my books out for the morning I felt a presence on my left. I closed my locker and came face to face with Lucas much closer than I'd anticipated, which made me jump.

"Jesus! Warn a girl next time I almost punched you." I said, rolling my eyes. 

I could see that the bruise on his eye had mostly faded, and wasn't noticeable unless you knew it was there. He smirked at me, "Nah you wouldn't punch me." he said. 

I gave him a look, "Well I've already slapped you. Why not add a punch to the list?" I suggested cheerfully.

I heard Maya and Miles snicker, which made Lucas cast a glance over at them, "Very funny. Walk with me." he said, nodding his head in a gesture for me to follow him.

I narrowed my eyes, "I'm good here thanks." I replied, leaning up against my locker.

Based on the look he gave Maya and Miles, it was clear he wanted them to leave.

"Okayyyy," Maya spoke up, "well, I need to stop at my locker, come with me Miles." she said, taking the hint he was giving her.

I gave her a look that clearly said 'why would you do this to me', to which she gave me a smirk that told me she wasn't sorry before dragging her boyfriend off down the hall.

I turned to Lucas, who was smirking, "Well you got them to leave. What do you want?" I asked, knowing he had something to tell me.

"Just wanted to let you know that Rebecca is still very suspicious as to why you and I showed up to the party together Friday night. She thinks we had sex. So, people might be talking." He said.

"Well you see, us talking right here, right now, probably isn't going to help those rumors," I said, "but lucky for both of us. I don't give a shit about what people say about me. I can handle rumors as long as you stay true to your word and keep her away from me." I said.

He smirked, "I promise I'll do my best. But another warning; somehow, Peyton still remembers that ninja move you pulled on her and she's not very happy about it." he said.

The warning bell rang and I pushed off the lockers and began walking to class, Lucas walking alongside of me. I didn't miss all of the looks that were thrown our way as we made our way down the hall.

"Well let's see how bold she is when she's sober in the middle of the school day." I said, not worried about her.

Lucas lowered his voice to ask a question, "You babysitting today?" he asked.