Chapter 24

"Gooooood Moooooorning." Cole sang as he skipped over to Miles, Maya, and I, Tyler following behind him. 

"What's got you all wound up?" I asked as I closed my locker. 

"Basketball playoffs start today!" he said excitedly. 

"But you're not on the team." I said, confused. 

"No I am not but I am president of the student fan club. And playoffs means I get to go even crazier than usual. So it's a very good day." he said as we chuckled. 

"I have a question for you boys." Maya spoke up. 

I silently cussed her out in my head as the boys perked up, "Yes?" Tyler asked.

"What does it mean when a guy asks a girl if she's interested in dating anyone?" she asked.

I closed my locker and turned around, taking in their faces as they thought, "Well, considering I'm with you I don't know the answer. Because I've never asked that question." Miles said. 

"I've never asked it either." Cole said with Tyler nodding in agreement. 

"I mean, if I had to guess I'd go with he wants to know if he has a chance. If she says she's not interested in dating at the moment, he knows she'd probably say no. Or he could just be curious." Tyler said with a shrug.

"Hm. Okay. Thanks!" She said brightly before walking away, leaving all of us to stare after her. 

"What was that about?" Miles asked, turning to me. 

I shook my head, "No idea. I need to go, I have a meeting with my math teacher before class. See you guys later." I said, excusing myself from the group before I could be questioned further. 

Later that day at lunch, Lucas had to undergo a full interrogation about his date from Saturday. It was so intense I almost felt bad for him. Almost. 

"So a second date? Where are you going to take her? Did you kiss her? Are you going to kiss her? Will there be a third date?" Cole asked rapid fire, not even taking time to breathe between questions. 

Lucas was visibly annoyed, "You need to be fucking medicated." he said. 

I just smiled down at my food before looking back up, "Cole stop interrogating." I said. 

"I'm just trying to live vicariously through him. No one wants to go on a date with me." He said.

Tyler rolled his eyes, "You've never asked a girl out on a date before." he said. 

Cole looked up and narrowed his eyes, "Well neither has Lucas but he's about to go on his second!" he snapped, making all of us laugh. 

"Cole if you want to go on a date so badly I'll go on a date with you." I spoke up. 

Everyone at the table turned their heads to me, their eyes wide. 

"Wait really?" Cole asked.

I nodded, "I would like to make it clear this is only as friends, but I will let you take me on a date if you want to take someone on one so badly." I said 

He smiled widely, "Ha! Yes! I get Ariel!" He exclaimed, flipping Tyler off excitedly.

I just rolled my eyes and ate another chip, ignoring the look Lucas was giving me from across the table. 

~~~~~~

"I can't believe you actually offered to go on a date with him." Maya said as we walked down the hall. 

"He hasn't shut up about it for the last two hours." Tyler said.

I smiled slightly, "Sorry. I don't know, he just seemed so genuinely sad when he was talking about how he hasn't taken someone on a date yet. Besides, it gets him out of your hair on a Friday night now." I said, nudging my shoulder into Tyler.