Chapter 21

I was at Aaron's house for a little bit before the game against the Jets tonight. Aaron has seemed really sad lately and today seems to be the worst of all the days. She told she had to go down to get car and left. Then her phone started to ring, it went to voicemail and the person said:

Hey Aaron girl, it's Claire. I know you're listening to this and I know you're sad. I know it had been a year since your parents and Jason died. And it doesn't help you're playing the Jets tonight. But go out there and score a hat trick. Give each of them a goal. They would be very proud that you're in the NHL. I got to go, bye.

What the heck? How much had she not told anyone? Only survivor in her family of death. She come walking in threw the door.

"Hey, some girl called you when you were at your car." I said.

"What they have to say?" Aaron asked.

"Listen to your messages."

She presses play on the answering machine and listens to the message. After the message was done, she put her head on the counter.

"Is that why you have been so sad lately? Because its been a year since your fault died." I asked.

She nodded her head yes. I walked over to her and started to comfort her.

"Why doesn't help that you guys are paying the Jets tonight?" I asked.

"Because the went to go see a Jets vs. Bruins game and they were coming back from the game. A driver hit them and they all died on the scene of the crash." she said, she was crying into my chest.

******

10:47 left in the first, Hawks nothing Jets nothing. Face off outside of Tyler. Toews wins it, passes it to Hossa. Takes a shot, it deflects of the of the pad. Score! Hijions got the deflect off the pad and puts it in the net and it's one-nothing Hawks with 10:00 left in the first.

12:54 left in the second, Hawks one Jets nothing. Face off outside of Crawford. Shaw wins it, passes to Kane who heads up ice. Passes it to Hijions and score! Aaron Hijions and its two-nothing Hawks. Hijions with his second goal of the night and with the only two goals of the game so far.

...and this is going to be a penalty shot for the Hawks. The shot is going to be give to Hijions as he skates to center ice. He grabs the puck, dekes it...Score! And the hats are flying onto the ice. Aaron with his first career hat trick in his rookie year. And its three-nothing Hawks with 8:39 left in the second.

After the game I go to the locker room. I go over to Aaron, "nice game."

"Thanks"

I give her a hug and go over to Jonathan.