Chapter 3

(Riley's P.O.V)

I grabbed my skates and headed downstairs. I waited for Jonathan to pull up. Today I was joining Jonathan and the guys at practice. He pulls up and I jump in. We get to the U.C and go inside to the locker room. The boys give me equipment and I get dress. They hand me a special practice jersey with my last name on it. I put it on and we head out on to the ice.

"Ok guys, Riley is going to be going us today." Quenneville said.

We start to practice and towards the end we do a scrimmage.

"Captains of the two teams for the scrimmage will be Jonathan and Riley." Quenneville said.

Me and Jonathan skate to center ice and I pick first. I started with defense.

"Keith" I said

"Kane" Jonathan said.

"Seabrook"

"Smith"

Back and forth between the two of us in till everyone was on a team. We start the scrimmage.

My team: Sharp-me-Hossa on offense, Seabrook-Keith on defense and Crawford in net.

Jonathan's team: Bickell-him-Kane on offense, Oduya-Hjalmarsson on defense and Raanta in net.

My team won by the score of 4-3. I was already change out of my uniform into my normal clothes. I saw one of the guys sitting in the corner all by himself. He was still in his uniform but his skates were off.

"Jonathan, who is that?" I whisper into his ear, pointing to the guy.

"Aaron Hijons, he is a rookie." he whisper back.

"Can I go talk to him?"

"Sure"

I walk over to Aaron and sit down by him. He had a necklace in his hand and he was rubbing it.

"Hi Aaron" I said

He looked at me and said, "Hi Riley." Then he quickly put the necklace into his bag.

"Your girlfriend's?"

"No, my mom."

"Oh, I'm sorry about that."

"Thanks, she has been dead since February."

He took his hands and put them up to his face. I felt so bad now. I quietly tip toe away and go back to Jonathan. It must be hard to lose your mom, but almost a year later and he still has the pain of her gone.

We left the locker room and went back to my place. I taught him a little more trumpet. I was saying goodbye to him. He was standing in the hallway and I was standing in my place. He left and I saw Aaron walking by my door, with his head down.

I never knew what his name was. Until today, when I asked Jonathan. I would always see him on the bus or plane. He was always alone and sometimes listening to music.

"Aaron" I said but he didn’t hear me. He just kept walking down the hallway and turned to the other hall. I walk down and turn the corner to not find him.