27.

Guiding her by the small of her back, Oliver tensely walked down the hall as he led Valeria out of his childhood home. Shooting his head in all different directions as her words went into one ear and out the other, while she talked it off about nonsense that he truthfully couldn't care less about.

"Will you?" She repeated, causing him to look down at her.

"Wh-what? Sorry I just-"

"Call me again? I had a really great time," She smirked, reaching back to place her dainty hand against his bicep.

"Mm," Oliver hummed, pressing his tongue against the back of his front teeth, "Mhm."

Valeria giggled, sliding her hand down his arm to lace it with his as she began to descend down the spiral stairs, nearly dragging him with her. "Good— I'm sure you'd never be able to forgive yourself if you never saw me again," She teased.

"Heh," He laughed awkwardly, "I'm sure you're right."

She grinned up at him as she reached the bottom of the stairs, walking backwards to the front doors as she reached forward for his other hand. "I'll be expecting your call," She told him.

Oliver nodded, smiling back at her. "Maybe I should just call you now," He joked uncomfortably.

"Maybe I shouldn't leave," She giggled once again, nearly causing him to roll his eyes.

"I'm open to that idea-"

Her eyes lit up.

"But I have a lot going on right now," He added quickly, "I promise I'll call you soon, though."

Valeria pouted, reaching up to wrap her arms around his neck, standing on her toes in a sort of swooning manner. "I'll be waiting," She told him, biting down on her bottom lip.

She peered up at him expectantly, brushing her fingers against the back of his neck in anticipation.

He hesitated to lean forward to press a short kiss, that lasted not a fraction of a second, against her lips.

She refrained from frowning as she took a step away from him.

He smiled awkwardly as he reached past her to open the door. He stepped to the side, uncomfortably waving his hand at her.

She smiled back at him, looking down at her feet as she walked past him. "Bye," She said sadly, turning back to look at him one last time.

Oliver nodded quickly, slowly shutting the door as she walked away from the front porch. He couldn't help but let out a breath of relief once she was gone, turning to lean his back against the door. He shut his eyes tightly, rubbing his hands over his face in frustration.

"Finally got rid of her?"

His eyes shot open, tilting his head up to find Mary standing at the top of the stairs.

"Uh— Unfortunately, yeah," He chuckled, scratching the back of his head.

"Hm," She hummed, making her way closer to him, "Sounded like you two had fun," She paused, watching her feet as she declined the marble steps, "Well sounded like she had fun."

Oliver rolled his eyes, pushing himself away from the door. "Yeah, well, I have that effect on girls," He scoffed.

"Do you?" She taunted him, raising her eyebrows in a faux surprise.

He offered her a grim smile, crossing his arms over his chest, "Of course, Mar."

Mary scoffed as she reached the bottom of the stairs, punching her palm into his chest. "You're ridiculous, you know?" She scolded him, "What are you even doing with that girl, Ol?"