*18.

!!tw : the following chapter contains [underage] substance abuse, and domestically (emotionally) abusive themes. please proceed at your own risk!!

Despite the riches at Westmount Academy, there seemed to be no better excuse to party than Spring Break. The long fourteen days dragged out like the smoke in the air. Halls lined with bottles of various drinks, both alcoholic and non-alcoholic, and trash. Dorm rooms reeked of sex and drugs— A hellish mixture of sweet e-cigarettes and bitter cannabis— And poured out a seemingly never ending stream of chaos.

Fourteen days of party, and Elisa cuddled up with a book. Candles emitted a soft light in the corners of her room, warding off the smells that snuck in. There wasn't a single atom of understanding in her mind that allowed her to comprehend the vicious need to party, which, ultimately, kept her away from her friends.

She glanced up from her book when Mary came waltzing into the room, shutting and locking the door behind herself.

"The boys dorms are ten times as crazy as over here," Mary complaining, shuffling into the room, "I wanted to see Sam, but no," She dragged out dramatically, stopping herself over the bed, "Instead, I walk into the room to find, definitely not Sam and his little spring fling."

Elisa glanced up at her again, showing her her listening skills.

"You'd think on a Sunday morning, people would leave at least a little room for Jesus."

She rolled her eyes, shaking her head slightly as her mind returned to the book. "You've never stepped foot in a church," She countered.

"That doesn't mean no one else has," Mary sighed, crossing her arms over her chest and added, "What are you reading today?"

Keeping her eyes on the book, Elisa lifted her hands to show off the paperback cover.

"The Catcher in the Rye," Mary read out, slowly nodding her head, "Again."

Elisa clicked her tongue, nodding back at her sassily. "Yeah— Again."

"Planning on running away?" Mary snickered, turning away to look at herself in the mirror.

Rolling her eyes, Elisa turned over onto her stomach. "Yeah, don't tell anyone," She sighed, "I'm actually flunking out."

"Good, that means you won't mind coming out with me tonight."

She scoffed, shaking her head as she closed the book. "Mary," She started, turning to look at her.

"I suggested we stay here because I wanted you to come and spend time with us."

"I'm not exactly in the mood to be around certain people," She mumbled, turning to sit up on her elbow.

Mary grinned, stepping closer to grab her hand. "Avalon left last night," She squealed, wiggling in excitement.

Elisa pressed her lips together, staring up at her with a blank expression, feeling her heart sink in her chest. She really couldn't have cared less about Avalons whereabouts. Dropping her head to look at the ground, she sighed deeply, "What are you guys doing tonight?"

"Hanging out," Mary smiled, hopping up and down, "With a couple people in the boys room."

"Just hanging out?"

"Just hanging out," She repeated, nodding in reassurance.

Elisa sighed, shrugging her shoulders as she rolled back onto her stomach.

"Yes!" Mary yelled, causing her eyes to roll. "Oh- Okay, so-"

Elisa turned again, her eyebrows furrowed as Mary busied herself in the dresser.