33.

Frozen in time, Elisa blinked in slow motion, absorbing the words handed to her like a sponge. Her ears rang, and she turned her head down to look at her reddened palms, heated by the sun. She was convinced she was having an out of body experience as the crunching of branches and leaves creeped around her like an eerie echo.

"Elisa!"

And brought back to life, she lifted her head, shedding herself of the chilling state. "Hm?"

"Are you listening to me? 'Cause I'm kind of freaking out!"

She rubbed her palm over her face, gazing up at her friend in awe. "I— Y-yeah, of course I'm listening."

Mary scoffed, crossing her arms over her chest— An entirely new attitude to her name in the state of distress, "Yeah? Then what did I say?"

Elisa didn't hesitate to retort, proving her wrong, "That you think you're preg-"

"Shh! Shut up!" Mary shushed her, waving her hands frantically as she looked in every direction in a panic, "You trying to get me killed?!"

"You asked me what you said!" Elisa defended herself, throwing her arms in the air in an equally dramatic scene.

"I didn't think you were actually listening to me!"

She rolled her eyes, leaning back on the lounge chair in frustration.

Mary whined, continuing her pace back and forth in front of her, "I'm totally freaking out, El."

"No kidding— You need to relax, you're going to put the baby in distress-"

"Shut up! You're going to get me caught!"

"Oh calm down," Elisa scoffed, "You're not pregnant."

Mary groaned, "Oh my God, don't say that word out loud."

Elisa rolled her eyes, "I love you, Mars, but grow up and go tell Sam before someone else does."

"But what if I really am pr-" She stopped herself, scrunching her nose, causing Elisa to roll her eyes again. "Cut me some slack! Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have Sam's babies-"

"Oh my God, Mary," Elisa sighed, smacking herself in the forehead.

"-But I'm only seventeen! I can't have a baby-" Her face fell, turning to face Elisa head on, "What if it's twins— D-did Caroline have a twin— O-or Vincent?"

"How am I supposed to know that?" Elisa retorted.

"Wh— You and Oliver are basically dating! Why don't you know this?"

"You've known these boys like eight times as long as I have! Why don't you know this?"

Mary returned to her whine, stomping around in her bathing suit once again, only for Elisa to lean back in her seat, unbothered by the panic. She came to a halt, turning to face her with a pout on her lips, "I'm never going to look this good again— My parents are going to disown me."

"Isn't your dad a plastic surgeon? If you're so worried, just get some work done or something after the baby-"

"I can't do that if they disown me!"

Elisa pinched the bridge of her nose in frustration. "Mary, chances are, you aren't pregnant."

Mary huffed, shaking out her arms nervously.

"Have you even taken a test?"

"No, I'm too scared," She whined, poking her lip out.

"Are you kidding me? What are you just going to wait nine months and see if something pops out?"