29.

In America, Independence Day is a very important holiday. It's celebrated in many different ways, which can include: Backyard barbecues, fireworks after the sun goes down, pool parties, block parties, and more. There's different degrees of intense celebration throughout the nation, but at the Reynolds Estate, Elisa Mason was introduced to the American holiday in the most intense way possible.

With various different workers, both general house staff and temporary employees, scrambling around the house, Elisa found herself stopping to catch her breath at the top of the stairs. Watching as people she didn't know flooded into the house, she dodged them as she reached the bottom of the stairs.

"Elisa!" Mary called from the foyer, appearing in the growing crowd.

She turned around and held her hand out to Mary, cringing away from a boy who appeared to have already had a drink, despite it only being noon.

"This is a lot of unfamiliar faces," She laughed uncomfortably, earning a sorry face from Mary.

"I know, I'm sorry— I tried to warn you," Mary sighed, rubbing her back gently.

Elisa shook her head, "Don't worry about it."

When they reached the living room, it appeared that there were a lot less people than there was before. However, there was a multitude of different, unrecognizable teenagers scattered all around, filling the pool and dining room. Surrounding both the exterior and interior bars.

"Wow," She breathed out, finding comfort in Mary's arm wrapped around her shoulders.

"Don't worry, the Reynolds don't make friends with bad people."

Elisa smiled weakly, turning to face her, "Introduce me to someone— I feel like an outsider-"

"I know how that feels," Someone called from behind, causing both of the girls to turn around.

"Jay," Mary greeted him with a stiff smile.

The taller boy approached them confidently, flexing his body with every step he took. His skin was a soft caramel color, contrasting against his bright blue eyes— Which he only could've gotten from his mother. The famous curls that seemed to be long running with the Reynolds boys were nowhere to be seen, causing him to appear, just as he said, an outsider. This was Jason Reynolds.

"How have you been, Mars?" He asked casually, enveloping the girl into a tight hug.

"I've been alright, Jay," She huffed from her squished spot against his hard chest, "Much better now that my boy is all cleaned up from the mess you made."

Jason smiled at her slyly, internally rolling his eyes as he released his hug. "Good," He noted, ignoring her comment completely, "Who's your friend?"

Their attention was redirected toward Elisa, who stared at the older boy in awe, shocked by the meeting so soon.

"This is Elisa," Mary informed him, "El, this is Jason."

"I know," She blurted out, thinking back to the pictures that she'd seen around the mansion.

"Awe, Mary, I'm still famous in your books?" He teased her, yet couldn't manage to tear his eyes from Elisa.

"More like infamous," She corrected him, causing him to turn and raise an eyebrow at her.

"Feisty," He commented before poking his hand out at Elisa, "It's great to meet you, Elisa."

She smiled at him weakly, placing her hand in his, "You too."

"Jay, this is Oliver's friend," Mary mentioned, sticking her arm in between them as though Jason would pounce on her.

Jason turned his head to look at her, immediately pulling his hand away from Elisas. "Is she now?" He chuckled uncomfortably, "Good for him."