fourteen

she lets out a frustrated sigh and drops her phone onto her bed

she lets out a frustrated sigh and drops her phone onto her bed. jane had always been stubborn, as it ran in the family, however she wished she would push it aside so they could talk it out. she didn't want to resort to showing up at her apartment, but then again, she'd do anything to make amends.

whenever they fought, it was always resolved within a few days, however this one seemed to be worse than some of the ones in the past. nini knew she messed up when she failed to congratulate her sister, which stemmed from her own selfish reasons.

her moms have always been obsessed with the concept of both their daughters having a significant other. she's unsure where this fantasy came from, and she still doesn't understand why they won't let it go. the engagement only fueled their agenda, which is why she's so upset. she figures a part of her is jealous that her sister found her person when she hasn't found anyone. hence the creation of her scheme.

she's startled out of her thoughts when her door opens, revealing jane. she walks in and sits on the bed, "talk."

nini looks at her in awe, wondering what had changed her mind and caused her to reach out. "um, i wanted to apologize. i was a bitch and i let my insecurities get the best of me. i'm sorry," she says.

jane looks at her with a soft expression, and grabs her hand.

"i'm sorry moms are so hard on you. i know it sucks and i truly don't know how it feels because i have parker, you were right about that," nini looks at her with a grateful expression, "don't let this fool you, i still disapprove of what you're doing with ricky, but i understand why you're doing it," she finishes her thought.

nini leans over and hugs her sister, jane reciprocating with a tight squeeze.

"congrats janey. i hope you know how happy i am for you. i'm sorry i didn't make that clear before," she apologizes, "when's the wedding?"

"thank you neens," she released her from the hug, "moms want it sometime this year, we're thinking the summer."

"jane that's so soon! are they insane? you just got engaged!" nini exclaims.

"i know but parker and i have been together long enough to know that we're ready. moms are already planning everything," she explains, nini nodding along. "so... what have i missed?"

nini fills her sister in on everything she hasn't been able to tell her over the past week, granted she left a few things out, grateful that she got her best friend back.

jane knew nini had been under a lot of stress lately, so she decided to give her a girls day

jane knew nini had been under a lot of stress lately, so she decided to give her a girls day. they went to the mall and got lunch together, then decided to get their nails done.

as they were walking out of the nail salon, jane bumped into nini's shoulder, "ricky, huh? how's that going?" she teases, revisiting their earlier conversation.

nini turns and playfully glares at her sister, "it's fine, awkward, but fine," she replies, trying to end the conversation before it could progress any further.

"there's something you're not telling me," jane says as they step into her car.

"there is not! we don't keep secrets," nini defends.

"mhm"

"fine! ricky and i kissed on new years and i didn't hate it," she caves, turning to look at her sister, "it was for the scheme. i didn't feel anything, but i also didn't hate as much as i should've."

"i hope you know that i'll remember this when you two start dating for real," jane teases.

"well that's not gonna happen so you can forget it! can we stop talking about this now?"

"i suppose," she says, causing nini to look at her with suspicion.

"promise you won't tell moms it's fake?" she asks.

"i would never do that to you."

nini nods her head and mumbles a quick "thank you," leaning her head against the window and watching the scenery as they drove.