sixteen

next morning

next morning.

she woke up to the sound of her alarm at eight in the morning and immediately began packing her suitcase, having put it off until the last minute. running around her room trying to find everything she had brought from her apartment, she almost misses the knock on her door.

"nini," jane calls in a sing-song voice, "we need to have one last sister talk before you leave."

"ok... what about exactly?" she asks as jane begins folding some of the clothes nini placed on her bed.

"you," she points to her for emphasis, "are going to talk to ricky about your falling out. and don't play dumb because you know exactly what i'm talking about."

"god, you and seb are both on my ass about that," she sighs, turning to look at her sister.

"as we should be, nini. the lack of communication between you and ricky is so frustrating. and now you're jumping into this whole scheme as if you haven't ignored each other for the last four years. it's toxic."

"i know," nini breathes, "it's easier to forget, and i know that's not an excuse but we're ok right now. i'm going to talk to him when we're both back in new york and it's easier to hide from moms."

jane looks at her, not quite sure whether to believe her or not, "you better. and you'll be providing me with all the details or i will be telling moms that you're in a fake relationship."

"jane! you said you wouldn't do that!"

"i'm kidding. but you better tell me everything that happens. you know i love drama," she replies, putting the last of nini's clothes in her suitcase.

nini rolls her eyes, "i am so glad you and carlos have never met in person, you'd be unstoppable."

jane laughs and stands up to hug her sister. "wedding invitations are coming out in a few months," she whispers, pulling away from the hug.

"i still think it's way too soon. are you sure you're okay with this? mom's aren't forcing you into this, right?" nini questions, concern lacing her tone.