six

they had sat down for dinner about 30 minutes after the bowen's arrival. jane and parker sat across from each other, along with carol and dana. mike sat between dana and nini who, much to her dismay, sat across from ricky.

he couldn't stop staring at her, constantly finding his gaze trained on her hair, and then her face, and then her dress. she pretended she didn't notice his stare, but felt his eyes burning into her head.

carol, dana, and mike were conversing about random things, jane and parker in their own world as always. nini and ricky sat in silence, feeling there was nothing to talk about.

nini stared down at her plate, until a comment from her mom caught her attention, "you know, i think ricky and nini would make the perfect couple, don't you agree mike?"

her jaw dropped open and she quickly twists her head towards her mom, giving her a look as if to ask what she was doing.

"totally, he hasn't stopped staring at her all night," mike responds, causing ricky to take his gaze off nini and look at his dad.

"excuse me," nini says, stepping away from the table, "i have to go talk to ricky."

she grabs him by the wrist and brings him over to the hallway next to her room.

"what the fuck, bowen," she says, her voice laced with venom.

"this is not my fault, roberts," he exclaims, making fun of her accusatory tone.

she rolls her eyes and crosses her arms, "maybe if you weren't staring at me all night, my moms wouldn't bring up the stupid boyfriend comment. again. for the third time in two days."

he looks at her with a shocked expression, mimicking her stance.

"you're serious," he scoffs in disbelief that she was blaming him for this.

"dead," she replies, challenging him with her tone.

deciding the conversation was over, nini rolls her eyes one last time and enters her room, slamming the door behind her.

after putting her phone down, she takes a moment to think about what she just told her friends

after putting her phone down, she takes a moment to think about what she just told her friends. it doesn't seem like the worst idea, they're both in salt lake city and they have a history, although ruined, but it's still there.

jane walks in with no warning, startling nini out of her thoughts.

"jesus nini, talk about tension," was the first thing she said upon entrance. nini laughs and looks at her sister.

"i have an idea. i don't know if it'll work but i think it'll get moms off my case for a little bit," she says.

"nini," she starts, "please don't tell me you're thinking about what i think you're thinking about."

"it depends," she responds playfully, "are you thinking about fake dating? because then you'd be right."

jane looks at her in disbelief, trying to process what she said. "ni that's ridiculous," she says with a judgmental tone.

"now's not the time to judge me, jane. you don't understand what it's like, you have parker," nini replies, anger building up.

jane scoffs, "fine. don't come to me when it backfires. also, a congratulations would've been nice."

nini watches as she leaves, mouth open in shock.