Chapter 28

Chapter 28

Kathmandu, Nepal, was just like the environment I grew up in. A city packed full of people going about their day, this city just happened to be a lot more ancient than New York. I moved aimlessly through the city, switching back forth between teleporting across the roof tops, and walking the amongst the people. I stopped while crossing a bridge, to lean forward against the railing and to take it all in. 

" I see you accepted my invitation." A voice said, and I glanced over to find the women in yellow. " Come." She beckoned turning to walk down the street, and I followed quickly after her, hesitating for only a moment when the world opened up before her. I glanced back as we stepped through watching as it closed behind us. " Tea?" The women asked, her back to me as she removed her hood, and I nodded accepting the cup, which I nearly dropped when I saw her face.

" Something wrong?" She asked with a smile.

" No. No. Thank you." I said blinking. Oh my god.

" How much do you know about your abilities, Alice?"

" Only what I've been told, and experienced." I admitted. " I inherited them from my grandmother through my mother, both who came from other dimensions outside of this one."

" To walk amongst those we perceive to only be stories. You possess an extraordinary gift."

" You make it sound like a blessing." I mused, and she smiled. " Yes, it does have its downsides, doesn't it?" She agreed. " But to have advanced like you have is in itself."

" Doesn't mean I can control it." I said.

" Well, that's why your here, isn't it?" She pointed out, setting her cup down. " I will warn you, there is only so much that can be taught. What you might learn here, will only take you so far, Alice." She told me. " The rest will depend on your own will

" When do we start?"

" First, I think there's someone you should meet."

*********

" Allow me to introduce Doctor Stephen Strange." She said as we approached a dark-haired guy with a beard. He stood as we reached him, nodding to me in greeting. " Stephen, please. I didn't think you taught children." Strange said sarcastically, and my eyes narrowed. Oh no, not another Tony. Just great.

" Alice has a very unique gift. You might take inspiration from it in your own studies." She told him, and he frowned before glancing toward me. Without breaking eye contact, I made motion with my hand at my side before holding out his book to him. He blinked in confusion, looking toward the bench he had been sitting on before looking back at me and taking the book from me. " How-"

" It would be hard to explain. You know, since I'm a child." I stated, before following after The Ancient One as she walked away, a small smile on her face.

Several days later, I sat reading when when the doctor approached me. " How do you do it without a sling-ring?" He asked, and I glanced up at him for a moment before continuing to read. " Come on." He pressed. " What is it? Radiation? Magic crystal found in the attic? What?"

He let out a sigh when I continued to ignore him, before he said, " I'm sorry for insulting you."

I lowered my book as I looked up at him with a frown. " Would you believe me if I just said that its DNA? Simple genetics."

" It can't be that simple." He scoffed, and I shrugged. " One dark, stormy evening I found I could teleport. Not really much else I can tell you that would make it make sense to you." I told him gathering up the books I was reading through. " I will say this, after the passed four years I've had, finding out that stuff like this, " I motioned to the books in my arms. " exists, doesn't really surprise me."