Chapter 24

Chapter 24

June 19, 2016

In Memoriam

Jacob Orion Stevens

A Loving Father

August 16, 1969 - January 12, 2010

" Hi, dad." I greeted placing the bouquet of yellow pansies down before the tombstone.

" Beautiful." A voice said, and I turned to find a women in yellow standing behind me. " Can I help you?" I questioned.

" Yes, actually." She responded. " Alicia Stone, I invite you to Kamar-taj." She said producing a card out of thin air, and I frowned in confusion. " Kamar-Taj?" I questioned looking down to find an address had been written on it. I had barely taken in the words, before the card suddenly turned to sand in my grasp. I looked back up at the lady, only to find myself once again alone.

I glanced around with a stunned look, before jumping as my phone went off in my pocket, playing Shoot to Thrill by ACDC. Releasing a sigh, I quickly answered.

" What, Stark? I'm little busy."

" We need you at the Facility"

" When?" 

" Now."

" Can it wait?"

" I wish."

" Alright, give me a second." I sighed, hanging up the phone before turning to face the tombstone. " Sorry, dad. I guess I have to cut this visit short." I muttered. I turned away as I teleported, and when the world had settled around me, I was standing in my room at the facility. The apartment I used to live in was still in my name, but I had moved some stuff here just in case I needed it after a mission. Dad had left me an emergency fund after he died, along with a large sum of money I got when turned 18.

We weren't wealthy, I knew that, but with Grandpa's career as an artist he had managed to leave dad a lot of money after his death, something that would make sure we never needed for anything, at least for a while. 

I changed out of my white sundress and sandals, and into a long-sleeved red shirt, dark blue jeans, and heeled boots. I teleported as I pulled my hair back, appearing in the meeting room downstairs and dropping into seat at the end of the table, putting me between Sam Wilson and Steve.

" Miss Stevens, thank you for joining us." The Secretary of State said, and as I opened my mouth to respond, Sam kicked me lightly in the leg, giving me a look that clearly read 'be nice.'

" Happy to be here." I said through tight lips.

" As I was saying. " He continued giving me look. " The world owes the Avengers an unpayable debt. You have fought for us...protected us, risked your lives...but while a great many people see you as heroes...there are some... who would prefer the word "vigilantes."

" And what word would you use, Mr. Secretary?" Natasha asked.

" How about "dangerous"? What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders...and inflict their will wherever they choose...and who frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?" He moved aside, turning on a screen behind him that showed a world map with several marked locations. " New York." He said bringing up video footage from 2012 that showed the hulk smashing through buildings.

" Washington D.C" Next he showed us video footage from 2014 of helicariers falling from the sky and buildings on fire.

" Sokovia." He showed us footage from last year of Sokovia being lifted into the air.

" Lagos." He concluded bringing up footage from last month of a partially destroyed building, and the people affected by the bioweapon that had hit it. I glanced Wanda when she flinched away out guilt, noticing her expression Steve said, " Okay. That's enough."

" For the past four years you've operated with unlimited power...and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution. " He slid a book toward Wanda, and I frowned at the sight of it, already not liking the look of this. " The Sokovia Accords. Approved by 117 countries..." Wanda slid it toward Rhodes. " It states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private Organization. Instead...they'll operate under the supervision of the United Nations panel...only when and if that panel deems it necessary."

" The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that."

" Tell me, Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now?" He questioned and Steve looked at him." If I misplaced a couple 30 megatons nukes... you can bet there'd be consequences. Compromise. Reassurance. That's how the world works. Believe me, this is the middle ground. "

" So, there are contingencies." Rhodes said.

" Three days from now, the UN meets in Vienna...to ratify the Accords. Talk it over."

" And if we come to a decision you dont like?" Natasha asked.

" Then you retire." Was his answer, and I frowned before glancing toward the booklet again. I made a beckoning motion with my hand and the book appeared in front of me. I opened the book to a random page, scanning over it I immediately found something I could not agree to.

Those with secret identities must reveal their legal names and true identities.

Those with innate powers must submit to a power analysis to categorize their level of public threat and determine potential health risks.

Those with innate powers must also wear tracking bracelets at all times.