Chapter 36

Saturn by Sleeping at Last

Chapter 36

I was standing on a nearby ridge when Stephen landed next to me, we stood in silence for several minutes before I said. " So, here we are at the end of the world." I muttered. " Millions of possibilities, and it all comes down to one."

" I can think of just as many places I'd rather be right now." He admitted, and I smiled looking toward the ship where the others were waiting. " Yeah, me to." I sighed.

So many places I could be, but only one I really wanted to be.

The image of a pair of cold grey blue eyes flashed through my mind, but I quickly shoved it away.

" At least we're here with people we can mostly tolerate." Stephen said, and I let out a laugh. " Oh, and here I was thinking you and Stark could be the best of friends." I teased, and he turned to walk back toward the ship. " On second thought..." he trailed off, and my eyes narrowed in the direction of the back of his head, before I teleported after him. As I landed at the bottom of the ridge, I turned to face him, only to stumble sideway as the center of my chest exploded with pain. When it passed, I was on the ground in a ball with a worried looking peter sitting next to me, his arms around me as if he were trying to absorb some of my pain into himself. Tony and the others stood nearby, all with worried and concerned looks on their faces.

" Pete, you can let go now." I told him, my voice quiet, and slowly peter let go. " What was that?" Stark questioned, but I didn't respond. " Alice-"

" She has magical tattoos." Peter said suddenly, and I gave him a look, which he pretended not to see.

" What?" Tony demanded, and I let out a sigh. " This is not the time for this." I stated, getting up, only to lose my footing and be caught by Peter. " Thanos could arrive at any minute, if something is going on with you, explain."

" Alic-" Peter started to say, but I cut him off with a look, pulling away and turning on Stark in annoyance. " It doesn't doesn't matter, alright. It's my problem, and it always will be my problem. No one can deal with it but me. As if teleporting, and crossing dimensional boundaries wasn't enough. Oh no, its also my duty to fix everyone else's problems, and if my life falls apart in the process, I guess I should just count it as a bonus." I was ranting now, but I didn't care.

To be honest, it wasn't just the fact that I didn't have a choice, it was the fact that I had practically been branded with a hot iron, and given no warning beforehand. Not once, but three times now. I was getting tired of it, and Stark demanding answers from me was just adding fuel to the fire at this point.

I had a right to my own destiny, dang it.

" Alice is right." Stephen said. " We do have bigger problems. This can be dealt with after Thanos is out of the way."

" Fine, but your not fighting." Stark said, and I gave him a look of shock. " But-"

" You can hardly stand right now. Your not fighting." He repeated before walking away, and with several elvish curses I stormed off.

***********

I let out a growl of frustration as I kicked at the dirt as I walked, before coming to a stop and glancing behind me. I had already walked quite far from the crash site, and while my anger had simmered, I wasn't ready to go back yet.

Aria appeared as I reached the top of the ridge, her arms behind her back and her hair moving lightly as if with a life of its own. Her eyes were closed, and her head back. " Why?" I questioned, stopping behind her.

" Why what?" She questioned without turning around.

" You know exactly what."

" I have already explained the purpose of your markings. Is there really a point in repeating myself?" She questioned, turning to face me with  frown.

" If they're supposed to show me what I'm supposed to do, then why did one fade?" I questioned. " Why remove one, only to put it back?"

" To remind you." She said as if it her obvious, and I gave her a look causing her to let out sigh. " If you haven't realized it at this point, then there's no point in explaining it to you. All you need to know at this moment, is that the events to come can not be changed. Not this time. " She explained, the last part being said so low that I almost didn't hear her.

" What do you mean last time?" I questioned. " Aria, what happened in your world?"

Sorrow filled her eyes, her thoughts turning to the past. I had never noticed it before, but amongst the grey of her eyes were bits of gold, like sunlight breaking through the clouds after a storm. " I followed my destiny." She said, breaking the silence, turning her back to me. " Your friends need you, Alicia. You should go now."  She told me, just as the ground shook beneath us.