Chapter Two

・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚.

・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚.

Even though the windows didn't open, the air never got stale. A Capitol luxery, she supposed. It was only when she focussed on it, thought about it too much, she noticed it wasn't fresh air. She supposed making artificial fresh air wasn't the craziest thing that came from the Capitol, but it seemed pretty useless.

Odette had her legs pulled underneath her, feeling more comfortable than she liked to admit in her loose shorts. Miles put another card down, trying to keep a proud smile from his face. "You've got no poker face," Odette scanned over her own cards, deciding which one she could lose. "Are you out?"

"I'm not saying a thing," Miles was only holding two more cards, leaning against the bedframe with his legs crossed. It was easy to forget they were in the Capitol. It was almost like back in eight, Odette laying on his bed as Miles dragged his small table towards it. There were things that were too hard to talk about for both of them, but cards were easy. Easy for Odette, at least. She knew countless of card games from family game night. Of course that was all before.

Odette added a seven to the pile and glanced at him over the cards. "Alright mister mysterious, let's see," the boy leaned across the bed, adding his last two cards to a different stack. "I knew it! How are you so good at this?"

He chuckled, collecting the different stacks and beginning to shuffle them. "I had a good teacher?"

Some cards flew from his hands, while he'd become great at most card games, shuffling was not a skill he'd been given. "Oh, of course. Do you need a favor or something?" She collected the cards, handing them back to him while he awkwardly held the cards in one hand, pressed against his stomach to keep them from falling.

"I'm still thinking about it," he decided he was content with his shuffling, looking back up at Odette. "Another round?"

His eyes looked like Freya's. A blue-ish color that was somehow still warm. "Alright, will you let me win this time?"

Miles began dealing the cards, shaking his head as he smiled. "Nah,"

Odette liked playing cards. She'd never been good at it, but it was one of the few things she had left from when things were good. Or at least as far as she could remember. Miles was too young to participate, but he'd had his blocks or little hoovers and later even some homework to do while they played. It was the only thing Odette really remembered with her father.

She remembered how everyone laughed as if there wasn't a care in the world, and perhaps there hadn't been back then. Her aunt and uncle were doing great, her mother was a bit forgetful at times, but her father was full of patience and always there to remind her of the rules.

Those nights didn't exist anymore, but evenings with Miles did. Playing with two wasn't as fun as with five, but if they switched games enough it never got boring.