Chapter Twenty-Two

・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚.

・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚.

Odette was sitting on top of one of the training stations. The surface was perfect for it, as well as the view. While Odette hadn't really gotten a lot of training in the past few days, Johanna seemed impossible to stop.

It was the last day of training, most people were either busy learning what they still could or had already left. Odette wasn't in a hurry for either of those things. She was perfectly content listening to the thud of her heels connecting with the metal of the station and watching Johanna.

No matter what she was doing, she looked magnificent. There was never a moment Johanna wasn't in control of everything. It was almost impossible to imagine her not winning the games. Finnick was standing next to her, leaning against the station. They hadn't had the time to spend a lot of time together, since whatever training they picked had usually been apart. "So," he said at last. "Have you decided?"

Odette looked down her legs. The strange but soft pants she hated looked strange under the fluorescent light. "Yeah, we'll see you in there."

It had been a bit of a struggle, but she'd managed to convince Johanna. She didn't know how she'd done it but was glad. They had a chance, which was more than she'd thought for months. Finnick let out a relieved laugh, shaking his head. "You had me worried for a moment."

"Johanna had," she corrected, glancing at the man with a smile. At last, there was hope. "Thankfully I can be very convincing."

"No, no, no, I don't want to know what you did to convince her!"

Odette laughed, shoving his shoulder. Despite their near future, it was nice to talk to a friend. She'd been so consumed by Johanna and spending time with her, she'd forgotten there were other important people. Admittedly, everyone dimmed when Johanna was around.

"So, how are you doing, then?" It had taken her a shamefully long time to ask, but it had been a topic she'd been avoiding. It seemed like an impossible question. If he asked her, she wouldn't know what to say.

Finnick sighed, from the corners of her eyes, Odette saw him follow the moments of her legs. "Would you believe me if I said it's not as bad as I thought?"

That was a surprise. "No."

He chuckled. "Of course not. But it's true. In a way, this is less frightening than mentoring and everything around it. Especially now."

That was something she could believe. Since their plan was on the table and better explained, a huge weight had been lifted off her. With death a smaller certainty, it seemed... doable. Easier than being around Capitol people all the time. Than to attend their parties and spent the night. "Yeah," she said. "It's... well-"

She didn't know how to explain exactly what she thought and luckily didn't have to when Johanna interrupted. "What are you lovebirds talking about?"

Odette hadn't seen her leave the training mat. "About you," Finnick pushed himself away from the station. "You're the last one here, we were waiting."