Chapter Twelve

・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚.

・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚.

It was hot in the room. Each window and door seemed hammered shut, leaving nowhere to escape. Her surroundings were loud; even over the music, she could hear everyone and their mother talk about the two new Victors. Two. Two Victor's who were in love.

Johanna found it ridiculous. She didn't know if she dismissed the act or the people who believed it more. What she did know, was that she needed another drink if she had to spend more hours hunched over a table listening to the same crap.

Normally, the parties were bearable. Normally, she wasn't quite as alone.

It had been three days since Odette had walked out on her. That was a rarity in itself. Odette never got upset, no matter what Johanna did or said. Odette never left. Odette never not talked to her for three days.

The silence had been unsettling. Finnick talked to her, some other Victors sat with them at lunch, but that seemed like nothing.

She didn't see or hear her, but somehow Johanna sensed when Odette entered the room. All it took was a quick glance to find her; she'd always been more radiant than anyone else. Perhaps Johanna just thought so now that she didn't have the pleasure to look at her whenever she liked.

Odette was in a cream-colored dress that seemed to shine under the faint light. Her hair was straightened, and she looked less like Odette and more like someone who belonged at parties like these. Confident, with a smile and looks that just fit, and engaging in small talk as if it was easy as breathing.

If Johanna hadn't known her she would not have thought twice about it. But Johanna did know her, and Odette belonged anywhere but at parties like these. The small faltering of her smile, the way she clutched her drink, and even in the rushed movement of pulling her dress strap back up.

"Ah," Finnick appeared beside her. She hadn't heard him. He held two glasses, passing one to Johanna. "I thought you looked thirsty, but maybe I brought the wrong thing."

He grinned as if it was the funniest thing he'd ever said. She would have laughed had they not been where they were. Had things between her and Odette been normal. Instead, she shoved her shoulder against his arm, but took the drink. "If that's all, you should leave before I punch you."

"Someone's not happy," he followed her gaze, as if he knew too much. "What happened?"

Johanna looked into her glass, the strong liquid dark with fucking glitter in it. "Why do you think something happened?" She took a sip, perching her chin on her palm.

Finnick chuckled, she felt his gaze on her. "Come on, Jo," he said. "You're still you, she's still her. We both know she'd be here if you didn't fuck up somehow."