Chapter Twenty-One

・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚.

・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚.

"Listen, I told you I wouldn't mind, but I'm not alone and-" Odette started as she was partially forced down the hall by Haymitch.

"Sweetheart, I know you can't make decisions by yourself. Get in there, we don't have much time," he pushed a plain door open, and guessing by the look of the room, this wasn't a place they were meant to be. There was a small chair at the center, cluttered with stained paper and empty mugs. There were no windows or anything else, really, apart from the small cabinet with a coffee brewer on top.

"What is this place?"

"Really?" Haymitch asked, flicking the light on before the door fell shut. "That's the question you're going with? Don't make me rethink this."

They'd never been close, though he always talked like they were. Maybe that's just who Haymitch was. "Fine," she crossed her arms over her chest. Was he going to kill her? That'd be too messy and she hadn't done anything wrong but... "What's this all about then?"

"You were partially correct," he stepped under the single light source, pacing around the round table. "It's about an alliance, but it's more than that. What if I told you I could get you and all your friends out of that arena?"

Multiple victors? That was impossible, they'd never allow it, certainly not after the last Games. "I'd say you're insane."

"This whole thing is insane, but it's true. Are you willing to listen?" Odette hesitated. It sounded too good to be true. Multiple people getting out of there alive? She already knew there was no way she'd say no when she heard that. She and Johanna could get out together. She wouldn't need to kill anyone.

"Yes," she said, stepping closer to the table. For the next few minutes she listened to Haymitch. How the head Gamemaker came with the idea, how they could flee to district thirteen, which apparently existed. They just needed to survive and break the dome, but Beetee from three was on that already. Katniss and Peeta just needed to stay alive.

It sounded like it could work, which, perhaps, was the most unbelievable part of it all. "What I don't get," Odette said softly after a moment of silence. "Is why you need me. I can't protect them, they have three and four already. I can't... help them."

"The boy likes you," Haymitch said. She'd only talked to Peeta Mellark during training. He showed her his painting skills and they talked for a bit. "I'm sure you'll find a way to be useful, keep the peace or something."

"Right," Odette noticed Haymitch had stopped walking. "But you want something else from me."

He chuckled, pointing a finger at his head and then at her. "You're the only one Johanna Mason will listen to," Odette wanted to laugh. She wouldn't need much convincing, pissing off the Capitol would probably be enough. "We don't have a lot of fighters in our corner. Get her to join."