Chapter Twenty-Four

・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚.

・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚.

When Odette woke up, there was a moment of blissful unawareness. As if it were any other day, except maybe better, because Johanna was almost laying on top of her, a foreign closeness she wanted to embrace.

It only lasted a short moment. Johanna wasn't that close without reason, and dread stronger than ever soon settled into her own bones. She ran her fingers through Johanna's hair, trying to calm herself down. It didn't work. No matter how hard she willed time to stop, she knew they'd have to get up sooner than later. They'd have to separate and step into a nightmare again.

Johanna moved against her, somehow pressing even closer. "Morning," Odette whispered, pushing the hair out of Johanna's face.

"No," she answered, sighing against her skin. Odette laughed, glad that if she had to, it would be with Johanna, even if she hated that, too.

Craning hr neck, Odette kissed the top of her head. "I know," if anything, for a moment they were utterly connected in the desire to stay just where they were. "It'll be okay."

Johanna lifted her head, her hair messy and her face still swollen with sleepiness. Odette couldn't help herself, bringing her hand to her cheek. "Better cruel truths than kind lies, or what is it you used to say?"

"Yeah," it had been a while since she said it, she'd stopped believing it. She wanted people to lie to her, now. She was lying to herself, trying to fill her up with confidence she did not have. "I love it when you quote me."

Almost melting against her touch, Johanna rolled her eyes unconvincingly, laying back down on her chest. "I mean it, though," Odette wanted to. The kind lie certainly was easier than the cruel truth. "It'll be okay. Promise."

They both knew she couldn't promise that. Regardless of what Johanna believed, she relaxed a little more. A few moments passed like that; both women were unable to truly rest because their minds were elsewhere, somewhere terrible. They found comfort in each other, in knowing they wouldn't be alone, even if it scared them all the same.

It was only when the lights blinked on that Odette knew she'd have to leave soon. She didn't want to, but didn't want to be dragged out of the room, either. "I think it's time," she said, wishing it wasn't and not letting go.

Johanna sighed, whispering; "Yeah," before rolling off Odette. Getting up seemed like an impossible task. She didn't want to leave, she didn't want to be alone. She had to, she knew. Part of her did want to. She had to say goodbyes. "I'm not ready to say goodbye."

Odette rolled on her side, swallowing thickly. "Me neither," she said, reaching out to stroke her cheek. Johanna closed her eyes. "It's not goodbye, anyway. I'll see you in a few hours."