Chapter Twenty-Six

・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚.

・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚.

The rain was falling faster and harder, what had been just a few drops a moment ago became hard to see through. Despite her earlier words, Johanna was already struggling back to the district three tributes when she realized Odette wasn't behind her. When she turned around, searching for her through the rain and the darkness that it seemed to have brought, Johanna saw her standing when she'd left her, a hand in front of her nose and mouth.

She wanted to speak, wanted to tell her that they had to move or they might drown in the blood. Opening her mouth had been a mistake, the taste of blood filling every sense. Instead, she grabbed Odette's arm, dragging her through the rain. She didn't know where they were supposed to go. Was it raining everywhere?

She'd lost her sense of direction, and was grateful when the other two had come looking for them. Johanna didn't know where to go, so still gripping Odette's arm, she led them in the direction she thought was opposite of the forcefield.

They were all struggling. The blood made everything slippery. Johanna couldn't see a thing, she could barely breathe and had to fight the urge to gag at the taste. They should be moving faster, but they couldn't.

If possible, the rain seemed to fall even faster. How had this happened? The sky had been clear just moments before it began.

Johanna slipped on a rock, only able to hold herself upright because she let go of Odette. When she looked back she saw the girl had fallen. It was clear she was far from okay, her tears falling so fast the blood couldn't stick to her cheeks. She had no intention to get up again.

Johanna crouched, grabbing both her arms as Beetee and Wiress moved past them. She hauled her up and Odette shook her head, trying to say something before crying even harder when she choked on the mouthful of blood. If they just stayed, they'd die. Johanna wasn't planning on that, not even if she had to drag Odette away by her hair.

So she set them in motion again, going behind Beetee and Wiress, extra careful to not slip again. There had to be an end somewhere. It felt like they'd been struggling through the terrible rain for hours when she saw sand. Actual sand-colored sand, rather than the red the earth below her was. She just had to push a little further and they were in the clear.

Sure enough, they erupted from the jungle, gasping and covered in blood, but they were away from the rain. Behind them, between the trees, they could still hear it falling.

Johanna sucked in a deep breath, spitting blood out as she let go of Odette to regain her breath and check her weapons. They'd survived the blood rain. Fucking blood rain, what was wrong with people?

And what was wrong with that fucking woman? Wiress kept repeating 'tick tock'. When Johanna turned back to look at her, she was standing at the very edge of the jungle, shaking her head. "Come on," she said, getting tired of being a babysitter. "You can't keep standing there. Go wash the blood off."