Chapter Twenty-Three

・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚.

・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚.

It was already too hot, even in the low lighting. Her dress itched her neck and her face felt heavy with the makeup. Besides all of that, she felt ridiculous in her high necked dress with more decorations above her chin than should be humanly possible. And besides that, Johanna was already seething, just thinking about going on that fucking stage again.

The idiots were already cheering, and Johanna was vaguely aware of her grinding teeth. "Hey," of course Odette had sought her out already. When she turned to face her, she was mildly shocked to see that the charming, more cute dresses she was normally put in, had been exchanged for something that made it awfully clear she wasn't a child and definitely wasn't innocent anymore. "Don't laugh, I already feel naked and silly."

Odette covered the absurdly low cut of her dress, seemingly just held together by her own desperation. "I'm not laughing, maybe for once you should wear the dress a bit longer."

She rolled her eyes, her arms relaxing only a little more. "So, are you going to be okay up there?"

Johanna knew what Odette really meant, but didn't dare to ask. Are you going to stick to the plan? Probably not. In fact, she'd never agreed with it. Trying to talk them out of the games? In less than a day, some of them would be dead, even calling it a shit plan was giving it too much credit. "They'll know what I mean."

Odette chuckled, her hair stayed still when she shook her head. The smell of hairspray suddenly seemed too strong, even under the bottle of perfume that they seemed to have put on Odette. "I don't doubt it," people were beginning to brush past them, Johanna heard the first tribute, Cashmere, be called up to the stage. They should probably move. Johanna didn't know why she didn't. "I know we technically can't, but could I sleep over again tonight?"

They hadn't spent a single night not together. Though, Johanna supposed, the night before the games was different. Sleeping with the enemy wasn't encouraged. "Since when do you care about that?" It was their last certain evening together, away from the prying eyes of... well, everyone. They'd have to kill her before she'd spent it alone.

"I don't, I just care about what you want," Odette smiled at her. Bright even in the dim light, her lipstick was dark and her lashes strangely long, but she still looked like Odette. Odette who loved her. She'd been reminding herself of that fact almost every time she saw her. Touched her.

It still felt unfair. There were better people she could love. People who would be better for her. But she'd chosen Johanna, and now she didn't want to let go anymore. "There's no one I'd rather have with me."

Behind them, someone called Odette's name. "Then I'll see you after," she left Johanna with a brief touch to her arm, somehow comforting and strengthening. It was only when she was alone again, she realized she wasn't upset anymore.