Chapter Three

・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚.

・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚.

The fragile stillness of the room was disturbed by almost silent footsteps and the ruffle of clothes. Everything was so still that even the small change was enough to make Johanna blink her eyes open. For a moment she was in pure darkness. The light that came from under the door was faint, but enough to see feet and ankles moving across the room. "What time is it?" Johanna asked, rubbing her face with one hand. She was too tired for it to be morning already.

Odette remained silent for a moment, her movements halting. Johanna gained more sight in the dark room, her hair was loose, hanging over her shoulders. She held one shoe and was dressed in yesterdays clothes. "I didn't mean to wake you," she whispered, bending down to pick up her other shoe. "Go back to sleep, it's still early."

The woman moved to the bed, the mattress dipping as she sat on the edge, a hand smoothing out Johanna's hair. Very faintly, she could see Odette was smiling. "It's not morning yet?"

"It's around three a.m.," she never left quite that early. Ten minutes before breakfast, sometimes a little sooner, mostly a little later. It was hard to get Odette out of her bed. "Get some more rest, you need it."

"Why are you sneaking out in the middle of the night," Odette's hand stilled against her hair. Hesitating, thinking over her words. "You never do."

At those words, she pulled her hand away, resting them on the shoes in her lap. "A lot is different this year," even in the silence of the night, she'd almost missed the words. Odette had her face turned back towards Johanna before the words had fully sunken in. "I'll see you later today, yeah?"

Her fingers were cold when they brushed Johanna's cheek shortly before she got up off the bed. She wanted to say that it wasn't okay, that there'd be no point in staying in bed, waiting for the nightmares to come to her. She turned on her other side. "Yeah, sure," she pulled the duvet closer around herself. "Whatever."

The room stayed motionless for a moment. She hoped Odette would reach out, would whisper soft and gentle words. A part of her expected it. She always had gone out of her way to make sure Johanna was okay. To give her words she'd never be repaid for, not even if she asked.

A soft sigh followed, and without anything else, the door opened and closed. Just like that, Johanna was alone again. Even after so many years the feeling was still heavy. There was no point in staying in bed, she wouldn't go back to sleep, but getting up somehow seemed worse. She didn't want to indulge herself in this lavish lifestyle as Crystal would describe it. Every part of the building was a reminder of her hate for the Capitol. Only a few weeks a year people came into the building and the cost of that would easily be enough to feed and house seven for years. All this to sentence children to their death.