Chapter Nine

・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚.

・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚.

For the better part of an hour, Johanna had been standing against the wall with a scowl directed at no one in particular. She hated these parties, she hated the dresses, she hated the people.

Over the years, most people stopped talking to her. Instead, they stared and pointed and whispered. They were almost afraid of her, just not enough. She preferred that over pink and blue-haired people trying to talk to her. Sometimes they still tried. Johanna knew she should at least attempt to hold a conversation, get a sponsor. That part of her brain was insignificant compared to the one that yelled about arson and rage and the audacity. She had given in to that and was comfortable with the isolation that came with it.

The opening ball was always grand; the big building decorated with greens for the arena of the year, rich people mingling with servants and clinging to victors, hoping for even a small nod or smile. Most of all, it was hot inside. Johanna had found a spot near the entrance, already several drinks in. People walked past her constantly, getting out for air or coming in fashionably late.

No one even looked her way. Perhaps skillfully ignoring her, perhaps she'd simply hid too well. It didn't matter much, just a few more hours and she could leave. She wouldn't have to attend any parties until a new victor was announced.

"There you are!" She looked up to see Finnick turning her way. She doubted he'd been looking for her, but any excuse was good enough, she knew. "Looking grumpy as ever, thankfully."

His grin was a bit too big, his eyes a bit too bright. It was easy to tell when he'd been drinking. Rolling her eyes, she pushed herself off the wall, stepping out of the dark spot beside the dark green curtains. Most of the time, Finnick was tolerable, tipsy (or drunk) Finnick was not. "You don't know when to leave a woman alone."

It was meant as a joke, but it came out sharp. The long night and previous events had hardened any soft edge left. Finnick didn't notice. He slung his arm around Johanna's shoulder, pulling her against him as he slurred a laugh. "You just looked like you needed some company."

She tried to push him off; he was sweaty and stank like alcohol and was too close. "I don't, go annoy someone else." She ducked under his arm, he pouted, sighing more dramatically than needed.

Finnick opened his mouth to reply, slower than he normally would. "There he is!" His mouth snapped closed as he focussed on the source of the noise.

She turned around as well, seeing Coral and Odette almost running towards them. "What did you do?" Johanna asked. Coral looked livid. Odette didn't, her eyebrows pulled together as she nearly jogged over. She reached them before Coral.

"Are you alright?" Odette said, her hand wrapping around his bicep. "I know how it feels. Maybe we should step outside for a bit, I'm sure they won't-"