Chapter Seven

・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚.

・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚.

The sun was bright and facing the window, making Odette's skin too warm, but she couldn't bring herself to step away. It was as if the sky was mocking her by making the day exceptionally beautiful. She'd barely closed her eyes, only leaving Miles' room when the sun began to rise. She hadn't wanted to leave him, but Odette was restless and he was so peaceful in his sleep. She didn't want to take the last of that away.

"Is she alright?" She heard the voice behind her but didn't turn. She suspected it was about her, rather than to her. "She's been standing there since I got up."

"Of course she's not!" Cecelia whispered a bit too loud. Normally, Odette would turn around with a smile and tell them yes, I'm alright, you could've just asked me. But she didn't feel like pretending. Not with them, at least. She'd put on that show only for the tributes. Only for Miles.

There'd been shuffling behind her for some time now, a big breakfast being prepared that would likely go untouched. Food that could help them in there, but would just be thrown away as if it were nothing.

She didn't realize she'd been chewing on her lip until she tasted blood. "Morning," his voice was still sleepy. They'd been up late into the night, trying to make up for the years they would lose. There wasn't enough time. The Capitol had given Odette more time, and now they were taking his instead.

Even so, she turned with a smile, as if she hadn't been loathing the sun for being too bright and time for not stopping. "I asked for your favorite this morning," she moved to the table, fully set, as Rory and Thalia joined them.

"Would you look at that!" The escort beamed. "They really went all out for you this morning."

Thalia huffed as they sat down but didn't say anything. Plates were being loaded even though no one was hungry. Except maybe Neil. He was the one who broke through the silence. "Any more questions?"

Odette felt her throat close as he brought up what was about to happen, no matter how much Odette tried to not think about what would happen in half an hour. Miles sunk deeper into his chair, toying with a bun he'd only taken one bite out of. She wanted to comfort him, tell him eating right now was important, but she could barely breathe.

"What should we do first?" Thalia asked, though it had been brought up multiple times. "When the timer goes off, I mean."

"Don't freeze," Neil said instantly. "Move. You don't want to be caught in the middle of the bloodbath so any other direction."

"Find water," Cecelia added. "But be careful. You never know what tricks they're going to play so don't eat or drink anything unless you're a hundred percent certain it's harmless."

Eyes landed on Odette, expecting her to give some words of wisdom, but she couldn't. They were going in there and she had to watch them die. She should have stayed home, where she could cry and scream and mourn. Here, she could not. She wasn't even able to help them now.