My Oh My

Callum:

I sit crouched on the edge of the kitchen counter of our new home, my family scattered around the couches trying their best to dissect our newest client.

"She wasn't afraid. Like...not even a little bit." Bernadette says, her tone a mix of irritation, admiration and intrigue.

"Bitch acts like you", Hael says looking at Oscar. He looks completely baffled. Women generally have strong reactions to him. They are either scared to death or turned on.

Not Rachel Adams.

"Oh, I don't think she acts at all", Oscar replies, voice mild, face stoic.

"What do you mean?", Victor asks. He is pissed. He doesn't take well to begin disrespected.

"Exactly what I said."

"She can't not be affected by us", Hael almost whines. "I mean, come-fucking-on! I get that she isn't part of our town but she clearly knows who we are. Even when we just controlled Prescott High, any Oak Valley douche would have shit his pants if the six of us stared them down the way we did this chick. She couldn't have had no motherfucking reaction to that!"

"She doesn't just know who we are. She's done her research on us." Oscar says, rapidly typing away at his laptop. "She knew Callum was the one with the knife, she knew to speak to Bernie when she was trying the high road, she knew to send the file my way and she knew to talk to Victor about the price."

"She didn't have a reaction, Hael", I add and I know they know from my voice that I am impressed. "Not even when I had the knife at her throat. She didn't stiffen up. Not even in the slightest. She knows we wouldn't really hurt her."

"Or she thinks we can't hurt her", Vic grinds out.

"Not that we can't. Just that it would be pretty damn difficult" Oscar says.

"And why is that?", Bernie quipps, cocking a brow.

Oscar holds out the folder Rachel Adams had passed him.

"The revenge extraction history of Rachel Adams. The Shadows. A trafficking organization with branches all over Oregon. All the branches have the same name but are otherwise distinct. Springfield never had a branch though. I'm guessing that has something to do with the GMP. Anyways, this branch in Albany, had two leaders, who worked as co-partners but were otherwise independent. Adrien Xander and Max Bishop. Our to-be client took Max down along with his half of the empire, from top down. That is a set in stone web of about 500 people with advanced technology and ammunition. Single handedly."

Victor lets out a string of curses.
"Do we need to get rid of her?"

"We can. And it won't be difficult at all."

We all turn to Aaron. That's the first time he has said anything since Wesley's.

"You have a different estimate? Without even reading the file?", Oscar asks mildly. Nobody ever misses the streak of threat and violence in his voice though.

Aaron just shakes his head.
"If you walk to her door and tell her you wanna kill her she'd probably open it wide. Then she'll fight her best and hope that she ends up dead."

"What the fuck are you talking about?"

Aaron looks Hael straight in the eyes before replying.

"She wasn't afraid for three reasons. One, she knew we wouldn't immediately hurt her. Two, she was confident, even if we tried, she's got it in her to put up a good fight. Three, she didn't care if she lost that fight. When she told you, you can't do anything to her that hasn't already been done? I don't think that was ment to be a show of defiance. That's what she believes. And that's why she wasn't afraid."

We are all quiet for a minute. Contemplating. We all get it, I guess. Revenge on trafficking organization. Immune to fear. Little Miss Prim and Proper has had it rough.

"Wait!", Hael interrupts "so what you're saying is..."

"She has shut down. Just like I did. In the beginning." Aaron finishes, looking at his hands.

"Wait what? What do you mean by shut down?" Bernie asks, fixing a fierce gaze on Aaron.

"The first few months after....I broke up with you...and all through the time when I had to see you suffer because of us...I kind of... just shut all my emotions away... it's like being a living breathing robot."

There is two beats of silence and then Bernie gets up to go and sit right on Aaron's lap.

"Don't think about it", she commands, taking his face in her small hands, forcing him to meet her eyes. I bet you anything she's going to drill Aaron later when they are alone and make him spill his heart.

The woman never ceases to amaze me. She is absolutely beautiful.

"I'm ok", Aaron says, giving her a small smile. "But that's what's happening here."

"It doesn't matter" Oscar says. "She called Havoc. We need to get back to her with a price."

"No" Vic states firmly. "We are not taking her offer."

"She could be useful. There's no trace of any of the 500 people under Max. Max himself was reported missing. One day all is good and the next they whole lot just vanishes off the face of the fucking earth. Taking her up in the crew could be beneficial. And also that way she works for us and not against us. Which is something to be considered."

"We take in people we trust, Oscar. I can't allow a random bitch in my crew when I ain't sure if she'll screw us over."

"I dug up info on her. Her parents reported her missing 3 years ago. 6 months ago they along with some close relatives were murdered. Max Bishop went missing 3 months back. So I'm guessing the murder of her family was retribution. Because she dared to escape. Now she has destroyed half the empire. She's running. She needs protection. She won't screw us over. And we are not initiating her just like that. She has to succeed in a task we set her."

"Our dead boys" Vic says immediately.

"Yes. She seems to have a thing for digging up information. So we tell her to find out who did that and eliminate them. She succeeds, we have a deal."

For a few weeks now, there has been trouble at our perimeters. Random shots from the trees, vandalism in the houses close by. A few days ago, two of our boys were found dead. Shot in the head and tied up to a tree.

Since then the perimeter security has been doubled. But we hadn't found anything. Nothing at all.

"Don't you think that's a bit far, O?", I ask mildly.

"Don't you worry, Cal", Oscar replies, with a slight smirk. "Something tells me she'll get it done alright."