The Monster In The Dark

Hael:

The gun shot doesn't ring out like it should in an enclosed basement. Silencer. Motherfucking hell!

The sniper's body slumps forward, blood poring from his head. And then Little Miss Mysterious turns to face us.

"Adrien Xander is after you", she says, looking Victor straight in the face.

"How do you come to that conclusion?", Victor asks. He seems calm but I can see he is this close to snapping. He really can't stand Rachel Adams.

"Shadow Masks. Signature of The Shadows. All of them. Shooting at Albany perimeter. Thus, Adrien Xander."

"Well then that's too bad isn't it?", Victor smirks. "Seems like you're gonna have to get the fuck out of my town."

The girl just stares at Vic for a moment, head cocked to a side, a curious expression on her face.

"I could. But I think we both know this isn't about me. If it were, dead guy back there would have been hired to take down a chick with red hair, not random guys in skeleton masks."

"So why don't you tell us why he's after our asses all of a sudden?", Victor grinds out, every muscle in his body drawn with frustration.

Rachel takes a few moments again to just study Victor with dark chocolate eyes before replying.

"The GMP had an understanding with The Shadows. As long as the GMP kept a steady influx of Springfield bodies into the trafficking sector, they would be left alone. Now GMP is gone. And you guys got rid of every last person who tried to keep up trafficking in your twon. Springfield is officially out of the trafficking sector. The Shadows were never going to take that lying down. From all the towns around Springfield, Adrien's empire is the strongest. So he has taken it upon himself to bring you down and set up shadow rule in the underground here as well"

Victor just stares daggers at her for a while.
"We're leaving", he says before walking right out. We follow.

Back in the car I can't stay shut anymore.

"Tranquilizer? Truth serum? Who the fuck is this girl?", I ask looking at the other five one at a time. Oscar is planning. Aaron is staring at Bernie who has a frown on her face, Callum has got this sparkle in his eyes. He's impressed and intrigued. Victor is fucking furious.

"She's intriguing to say the least", Oscar replies, always fucking calm.

"She is a threat, that's what she is", Vic states. And this time I can't stop the little smirk.

"You sure you're not just irritated because she's fucking brilliant?", Cal states mildly.

"Shut the fuck up, Cal", Victor snaps.

"She's not a threat.", Blackbird says. "At least not yet. We have a common enemy. She needs us to get her revenge. And well....after the shit that just went down I'd say we kinda need her too. We'd have lost another guy today if it weren't for her. She's good. Wouldn't hurt to have her help. And she knows these motherfuckers. Experience and information."
She turns to Vic then.
"We need to work with her."

"We have to", Aaron finally says. "Not only because it'd be easier. She kept her end of the deal. She found out who's after the disturbance and she killed the sniper"

Aaron turns around for a minute to meet our eyes.

"She called Havoc. We said we had a deal if she got the job done. So now we have a deal. We have to work with her to take Adrien down and then she'll become a part of our crew"

"Let's just get home and rest for now", Cal says. "Tomorrow, we sit with her and find out what other tricks she's got up her sleeves."

††††††††††††††