Let's Play

Oscar:

It's fascinating how life often takes twisted turns. The first twist was Bernadette. Then Havoc. Then the GMP, followed by ruling over Prescott. Never questioned the turns. It brought us to the ending line; established us as kings of the town; a place that was always ment to be ours.

The only misstep was assuming that that would be the end of it.

Unprofessional.

Naive.

Downright idiotic.

Victor can bitch about Rachel all he wants. The girl saved our asses by showing up at the nick of time. It is almost ironic how the attack by the Shadows coincided with the arrival of their kryptonite.

Oh, yes. Unlike the rest of my family, I do understand that is exactly what she is.

Rachel Adams is an asset; a lethal fucking weapon, and she needs to be used as such.

And, as always, it is up to me to be the brain while the rest are busy trying to determine how they feel about her.

It's not important. She is not important; only the information she can give us and the war she will fight for us.

Victor thinks we're fighting her war. I know better. She is fighting ours. It would take her minimal effort to disappear off the face of earth and live her life in peace somewhere far away. And yet here she is. Not a clever choice on her part, but as long as she lets reveng rule her life, I will be milking her for every single nugget she can provide against Adrien Xander.

For the scale to remain balanced, Xander has to go. And the only person capable of making him fall is Rachel Adams.

I am powering up the system when Victor enters.

"You going to get the tech from her?", he asks.

I turn to look at him. "Is there any reason not to?"

I hear a bone pop as he grinds his teeth together.

"I do not trust that bitch", he grumbles.

Drawing in a slow breath, I turn to face him fully, leaning against one of the desks.

"Why?"

"What?", he snaps.

"Why don't you trust her?"

Victor stares at me, a sneer forming on his face.

"She shows up at the eleventh hour, armed to hell against a gang that starts gunning for us the moment she involves herself. Which part of that equation seems trustworthy to you?"

He is fuming. It's interesting how he just never seems capable of keeping his cool when it comes to Adams.

"We have been doing this for years", I tell him. "We know how to read people, manipulation them, bend them to our wills. What is it about her that clouds you judgment so much?"

"My judgement is perfectly fine!", he growls. "It's not my fucking fault you motherfuckers are too impressed by her little stunts to look at the obvious fractures in her story!"

I draw another breath.

"And what are these fractures may I ask?"

"Where is she getting all the equipments?", Victor fires immediately. "The cameras, the guns, thermal detectors, fucking raw chemicals, bombs! The bitch is armed like an entire fucking battlement and we have no idea where she gets that shit from! So, we have a potential threat waltzing around our territory, unsupervised, who could basically decimate everything we've worked so long to build if she wanted to!"