This Is How We Dance

Rachel:

"You want legal custody of Lara?", Alex reconfirms, looking at me like he is debating whether I've finally lost my mind.

Maybe I have. What I'm planning on doing is absolutely crazy.

"Yes."

"Umm...Rachel you can't.", Vera states "The only way you could have Lara's custody is if you were related to Lucas or...."

Vera stops dead, mid-sentence, staring at me in complete shock.

I give her a small smile.

"...or if I were married to Lucas.", I end for her.

"Wait what?", Alex snaps

"You're fucking insane", Vera whispers. She knows what I'm getting at.

"What the hell do you mean, married?", Alex exclaims.

I give him a calm look.

"Havoc is supposed to have a lot of connections. I'm hoping you two will be able to convince them that this is best. Rest assured, I'd find a way around the law even if they don't help. But I'm hoping they will. It'd be a lot less messy. Not to mention, we need to get this done before social services come knocking. Which, provide they already applied for the death certificate, gives us until day after to get it done. If we really stretch it."

Alex gapes at me for ten seconds straight.

"You're going to get married to a dead guy to protect his sister?"

"Not really. All I'm doing is signing a fake marriage certificate. Well... technically a real certificate. I'm hoping we can just put the date a month back. But still...sorta fake."

"Why are you doing this?", Alex asks frowning at me.

"I made a promise, Alex. I intend to keep it. No matter what it takes."

Vera's phone starts ringing and she drags it out of her pocket.

"Bernadette", she declares checking the screen.

"You mind putting it on speaker?" I ask.

She takes the call and does exactly that.

"Vera?"

"What's up?", Vera replies.

"I need you to come over. There are a few things we need to discuss"

"Fine. What things?"

"Lucas's sister. The funeral. And well...Rachel Adams."

I silently smirk at that. Vera raises her brow at me in question. I give her a firm nod.

"I'll be there in 15.", Vera says and disconnects the call.

"Go and tell them everything we discussed. If possible, don't mention that the entire thing was my idea. That is unless they ask specifically. Anything you know about me, tell them if they ask a direct question. Don't lie. Not even by omission. Don't pick a rift with them on my account, ok? That's a request. We on the same page?"

Vera sighs and shakes her head.
"Fucking fine", she huffs and walks right out the door.

                       ††††††††††††††

Vera:

I reach Havoc's new residence and park my car. They're going to grill me about Rachel and expect me to fucking spill. I hate that much more than I should. The bitch has gotten under my skin. The worst part is that Rachel fucking Adams has earned her place under my skin. She is as much a part of my crew as the rest of my gals. I know better than to try and order her around. She's motherfucking brilliant at this shit. She'd make a better leader than me. She's isn't interested though. Likes keeping to herself, that one.