Chapter 23

Warning: Angst towards the end of the chapter. Mentions of misogynistic themes against Hinata. Read at your own risk.
________________________________________

Despite the loss, Karasuno players held their heads up high, stood straight as they lined up in front of the crowd in the gymnasium and bowed in gratitude. "THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!"

Nekoma players who watched the game from the stands, along with Bokuto and Akaashi from Fukurodani clapped their hands as they looked at the black-and-orange clad crows. "It was a good game, guys!!"

Then, the teams shook hands before they dispersed. Hinata and Hoshiumi shook their hands with bright grins on their faces. "That was a good game, Hoshiumi-san! I had a lot of fun, too!" She laughed. "You're the true Little Giant."

"No," he corrected her seriously. "We both are Little Giants. We may be different but that means we're good in our own ways. Besides--!" A smile tug on Hoshiumi's lips. "I don't give a damn what anyone else think but I'm pretty sure we both are the best smallest hitters in the tournament, don't you think? I'm excited to see what kind of player you'll be in the future, Hinata Shouyou!!"

A bright laugh escaped from her lips as she patted their clasped hands. "Me too, Hoshiumi-san! Let's conquer the world together, shall we?"

His grin became wider and more feral. "You bet!!"
________________________________________

After they made their way to the concourse, the team made a few small exchanges between each other.

Asahi and Nishinoya discussed about the last dig, which the ace reassured him that if he wasn't able to dig the ball then the rest of them couldn't stand a chance either - except maybe Hinata, or Daichi, he added.

Meanwhile, Daichi asked Tsukishima if his leg was fine, which the blonde megane confirmed that he was okay. The captain continued that if it wasn't for his block along with Hinata's joust then they wouldn't have made it to the Nationals.

Tsukishima made a statement that he wanted to study some of Kamomedai's game tape as soon as he got home, much to the third-year's surprise.

Daichi ended up bawling his eyes out, sputtering incoherently about 'baby seals', much to Tsukishima's confusion. Asahi chimed in and helpfully translated that his friend was saying that the first-years were growing too fast.

Kiyoko was following behind the team when Tanaka approached her and offered to carry her bag. She hesitated for a few seconds before she smiled, allowing him to help her.

"Don't let the scores fool you. That wasn't a close loss. They had us completely beaten," Daichi told to the team as they gathered around him in a semi-circle. The coaches stood a few feet away next to them. "Top eight in the nation. That we made it that far on our very first trip to Nationals might seem nearly miraculous but I'm confident that you guys can go further, a lot further."

"But..." Kageyama spoke, as the others shifted their attention to him. "I wanted to take this team further."

They all stared at him in astonishment, remembering how his past self claimed that the games were stepping stones to his goal, how he rather do everything all by himself - showcasing his selfish self. But that all changed after these few months.

"It's worthless if you don't win the game. Lose and that's where it all ends!" Sugawara exclaimed loudly, tears welling up in his eyes. "But hearing that from you makes it feel like coming here was worth something! I don't care what anybody says. This was worth it! If you feel that way about this team, then I'm sure you can feel that way about your next one. And the one after that and the one after that. All your teams even way to the future."