A beginning to the end of an era

There are three types of ex lovers that still exist in your life after you had broken up.

The first one is the ex lover that stay as your friend. This is the one made out of mutual respect and trust. This is the most valuable one because there is no hidden agenda nor intention. This is a genuine connection because both of you are not in love with each other anymore.

The second is the ex lover that tries to stay friends with you, in the hopes that you will fall in love with them all over again. They are still in love with you and that did not change. They are the ones with hidden motives and intentions that seem innocent at first glance. These types of ex lovers should be avoiding, for it will end up being painful for both ends of the party.

The third is the ex lover that suddenly reappears out of the blue and you find yourself being swept off your feet in the middle of a lecture about your book. The philosophy book that you had wrote for the past thirteen years of your life. The intent seems innocent up until you find yourself in the middle of the night with them taking you home.

This type of ex lover is the one that Brett Yang had unfortunately come across to the night of his celebratory party for his book.

- - - - -

"Let's apply the Hedonist's trolley problem. There are two railways wherein you are by the lever. In the first track going straight ahead, there are five people tied to the railway and in the other track there is only one person..." Brett said, drawing two tracks that diverge and people on the railways, signifying his theory.

"If you say that you were going to pull the lever and kill just one person, you are an act utilitarian. This means that you believe in doing the right thing for the greater good of all. Since you are going to kill one person only instead of the other five." Brett continued, droning on and on and on.

"But if you were given the situation beyond just the trolley, let's say that you have a large man from above the bridge..." Brett said as he drew a figure to explain the theory. "Let's add to that, let's say that the large man is a pedophile or a serial killer, would that add to your option to kill him? If you do, that is called weak rule utilitarianism..." Brett added.

"But if you had said that this situation could never happen to you and are questioning why one has to be harmed when the train driver could just step on the breaks, this is called strong rule utilitarianism..." Brett said. "It is 5:30, is my watch correct?" Brett asked.

"Yes professor. It is..." A young and attractive woman said.

Brett cleared his throat and shook himself off of thoughts. His knees almost got weak and his lips quivered. He shall not be distracted.

"Thank you... I shall be dismissing you early this day for I have an appointment. If you are interested my book on meditations and philosophy is being released tonight. Just come to me after this class so that we could schedule an appointment for you..." Brett said but the class already left.

It was now quiet in the room. He has to get back home and prepare for the release of his book for later tonight. The wore his normal and formal attire as he was getting ready for the speech that he had prepared.

"Do I look okay, Jordon?" Brett asked as he fixed his burgundy tie.

"You look perfect, don't worry too much..." Jordon said as he fixed up Brett's hair a little.

"Should I start with a joke, a quote or a metaphor?" Brett asked, looking at himself on the mirror.

"Neither... You know how it goes when you joke." Jordon said, laughing behind Brett and giving him a knowing look.

"This is why I keep you around, Jordon. You know exactly what to say at the right place and time." Brett said, straightening his blazer.

"You know me..." Jordon said as they walk through the podium. Jordon sat down as Brett cleared his throat.

"As some of you might know, this book of mine entitled Meditations is inspired by many great philosophers who had the same books entitled Meditations. Marcus Aurelius and René Déscartes are most famous ones... I had written this for the past thirteen years so it means a lot to me. The times spent on this book has now paid off..." Brett said, scanning the room to meet the eyes of someone he had known before.

Well, more than known.

"I h-hope you all enjoy the book and I will see you later tonight..." Brett wrapped his speech up with a stutter and Jordon looks at him with a confused look.

Brett pulled Jordon on the Professors' Lounge.

"What happened out there, Brett?" Jordon asked, looking at Brett's disturbed actions.

"He's there..." Brett said breathlessly.

"Who?"

"Him... Patrick. An ex lover, what the fuck is he doing here?" Brett rambled.

"So? Go say hi." Jordon coaxed.

"No! That's a horrible idea. No matter what we do, don't let me come home with him." Brett begged, looking at Jordon straight on his eyes.

"Okay..." Jordon said as the exited the lounge.

They were immediately greeted by Patrick.

"Hey, Brett..." Patrick said, voice low and seductive.

"Hello, Patrick. Been a long time now, huh? Anyway, this is my colleague and best friend, Jordon He." Brett said, pointing to Jordon. He was so nervous and weak that he might throw up.

"Nice to meet you, Patrick..." Jordon said, shaking his hand.

"You too... So, Brett... Wanna come home with me?" Patrick asked, keeping his voice low and slow. He held on to Brett's hand and pulled him closer.

"Yeah..." Brett said, being taken away before Jordon could even argue.

Jordon smacked his hand against his forehead, looking at his best friend in disappoinment. Why could Brett never say no to that boy? He was not even worth Brett's time. Still, Jordon shrugged and just let it be.

Jordon He just hoped that Brett Yang will terribly regret this rash decision of his so he would not repeat it again.

- - - - -

"That was amazing, Patrick..." Brett said breathlessly, wiping the sweat off of his forehead using the back of his hand.

"It was." Patrick said as he hurried to put his clothes on.

"W-where are you going?" Brett asked, voice laced with confusion.

"Back to my boyfriend, silly. You are great in bed and all but I just needed that. I felt a bit neglected lately and I just wanted to see if I'm unattractive now. Turns out I'm not. I still got it." Patrick said with a satisfied tone.

"But can I call you?" Brett asked again.

He walked out of Brett's door and asked.

"What for?"

The door slammed and Brett deeply regret what had happened. He was so confused and it not sink into him. He was so screwed. Brett had definitely learned his lesson.

This is why you do not entertain an ex lover that had not been constant in your life after you both had broken up. It leads to a one night stand that is used for self-esteem boost.

This was it. He was never going to look for someone so beautiful and so tempting anymore.