A man who is perfect

Brett Yang was surprised to find a packed classroom. Edward Chen was in front, his appearance was not captivating but he pulls the room in with his teachings. A man of strong words but not as strong with looks. He sat down and tried to listen to Eddy.

"As I was saying, there is a certain expectation of love due to media that surrounds us nowadays. Not just in our time but in old times, too. There were novels, movies, plays, operas that dedicate around the theme of love... The expectation makes our standards high, like if I kissed someone, Tchaikovsky's Fantasy Overture for Romeo and Juliet will play. Do you have any reason why?" Eddy asked as he scanned around the room. He pointed to a man.

"It exaggerates the idea of selling love, making it grander that it really is." The man, Joseph said.

"Possibly." Eddy exclaimed. "June?" He added, pointing to a woman with curly hair.

"Because the media thinks that everyone is capable of loving and being loved."

"That is a good observation." Eddy replied. "Last, Ella?"

"It's both a psychological and physiological need. Meaning that conceiving children and building homes and making love."

"Very scientific but not my area of expertise." Eddy joked and everyone around them laughed.

"Now, on to the next point. Back in the 12th century, there was a type of love that is labeled as courtly love. This was the type of love that occurred between knights and princesses wherein they could not consummate their marriage since it may lead to treason." Eddy discussed as he looked around the room.

"Some may argue, asexuals, aromantics and everyone else in between the spectrum may agree that this is the purest form of love. One that relies on conversation, intellectual stimulation and emotions need not evoked by physical touch." Eddy added, smiling at his students.

"I agree to a certain extent, physicality in love sometimes become the root of all desires that stem from other things. It blooms jealousy, insanity, doing things that we normally wouldn't do. Things that make us lunatics. I try to avoid that type of love, in all honesty." Eddy said and the students laughed.

"Woo!" One of the students, Braden cheered.

"Now, Mr Braden, we all know tht you love physicality not just in bed but also in the field." Eddy kidded and everyone laughed again. Braden laughed and listened to him intently.

Brett looked at his watch and saw that he had a scheduled lesson in the next five minutes. Listening to Edward's lesson had given him an idea that the man might want something like what he was looking for. He carefully made his way out of the classroom to head back to the philosophy department. He left with a smile marked on his face.

He did not hear the rest of Eddy's lecture.

"But no matter how manipulative or how grandly unrealistic the way media depicts love and fits it in a small box, we still fall in love. Over and over and over again, no matter how painful or how much euphoria, we love because we are human." Eddy said.

"Whether it lasts for an hour or for a minute or for a lifetime, we find ourselves looking for love, giving and receiving it because it is nature. I am not referring to just romantic love for it could also be familial, fraternal, platonic and unconditional." Eddy added.

"We love because we simply can. Even if the ideology of love in the media is stereotyped into your typical heterosexual and cliched love story, we choose to love but we do not chose who to love. So, whether I hear Tchaikovsky play when I kiss a lover of mine or not, I will still keep on loving... Because it feels fucking great" Eddy concluded the lecture, the students cheering as the bell had rung.

Eddy felt satisfied at his lecture.

- - - - -

Later that night, Brett Yang was not hesitant to call Edward Chen for he had an excuse to do so. He was interested about how the man got his students involved in lectures and getting them to stay. He called the contact that he had saved. This was it, no turning back now.

He put the phone up his ear and the ringing starts. Whether it was the phone or his heartbeat, it didn't matter.

"Hello, is this Professor Edward Chen?" Brett started nervously, stuttering a little bit.

"Yes this is him speaking... How may I help you?" Edward said calmly.

"This is Professor Brett Yang from the Philosophy Department in Griffith. I happen to be in one of your lectures and I want to ask you about it. Could we talk it through dinner on Friday night?" Brett asked casually.

"Uh, yeah. Sure! I'll just see you around, Professor Yang..." Eddy said as he smiled.

"I'm looking forward to it, Professor Chen..." Brett said, hanging up the phone.

Brett's smile continued even after the phone call ended. He was glad that the man was so easy to reach out to. He was excited for what he could talk to about the man. So, after a few moments of letting it sink in, he decided to continue his daily practice rituals.

The night was filled with the sweet and fleeting melodies of Mozart. The lightness and the natural joy that Mozart evokes. Brett was feeling giddy inside.

As for Eddy? Eddy laid awake in his bed, blushing at the thought of being asked out. All his life, this was the first time someone had asked him out because of his teaching or passions. This was certainly bizarre because Brett did not ask him out on a date but a dinner for conversation.

Eddy hates small talk so a professor in Philosophy just might avoid that. He wants the grandness of talking about the world and what goes on around it. He was very curious in seeing new point of views and everything in between. A philosophy professor is perfect.

That night, both men drifted off to sleep in a peaceful slumber. But before sleeping, Eddy had a thought in his mind. He might just visit the Philo department of Griffith tomorrow.

- - - - -

Eddy did not know why or how he ended up here but he was outside of Brett Yang's classroom. He was subtly looking over at what the man might look like. When Eddy caught a glimpse, the man noticed him and stepped out of his classroom.

"Hey, professor..." Eddy blushed, knowing he got caught by the presumably older man.

"Hey yourself too, professor... We on tonight, right?" Brett asked, observing Eddy.

He really was perfect for Brett. That was Brett's only thoughts.

"Uh, of course! Seven, right?" Eddy asked.

"Yeah. I'll see you later, Mr. Chen... I have to get back to my class." Brett explained, scratching the back of his head.

"You too..." Eddy said as he walked away.

This is perfect.

Both the men thought as they carry along with their endeavors. Eddy was exactly Brett was expecting in his life. A smart man with shy smiles and unattractive in his eyes. He wasn't necessarily ugly, he just was not Brett's type. He was perfect.

Eddy was mesmerized at the sight of him. It wasn't what he had pictured in his mind but the reality was better. Half a head shorter than him, serious face and a small body. He wasn't the typical stereotype of an old philosophy teacher. He was perfect.