A change that starts from outside to within

"Ma, you're up early..." Eddy said, rubbing his swollen eyes. His eyes were puffy from crying last night.

The rejection from last night was still burning in his heart. He didn't know how to deal with it.

"I haven't slept yet..." Mama Chen said, reading the newspaper.

"Ma, you should be sleeping... That isn't good for you." Eddy said, pouring coffee in his cup.

"Come here, I found something..." Mama Chen said, pointing at the seat across her.

Eddy sat down and mama Chen handed him a picture. Eddy observed the picture properly.

"She's really pretty ever since she was a child, wasn't she? Look at those eyes of hers. And even when she was younger you'd really see how she's grow up to be more beautiful. I really wish I was this attractive..." Eddy said as he pointed at the picture.

"You're already attractive, Edward..." Mama Chen said.

"That's kinda hard to believe that coming from you since you're the one who pointed out flaws and all. Remember when I was younger, you'd point out my horrible posture and how I should pinch the bridge of my nose so it will get sharper. All those things made me believe that I was so ugly. And I am...

It was sad that I couldn't talk to you about it the way other kids do because it just isn't talked about much in our family. Especially how you told me that boys like me don't cry or get insecure..." Eddy confessed, staring longingly at the picture in his hands.

Mama Chen stayed silent for a while, looking for the proper words to say.

"You know, us parents, especially with our Asian upbringing, we don't mean to hurt our children. If that seems like the intention, we just want the best for you. To raise you as headstrong as we are. It seems very much but it's true. I'm sorry, Eddy. If you ever felt like that." Mama Chen said quietly, remembering everything she had ever said.

"It's okay, ma..." Eddy said, still looking at the picture.

"As for that picture, you are right. The baby is very beautiful. But it's not Belle... It's you..." She said, smiling at his son. "Your father, he never really wanted to hold a baby up until you were born. It's true that he loved you and Belle in the same way but he always knew you were something special..." Mama Chen added.

"You know what, ma? This is exactly what I needed to see. Thank you so much for reminding me how beautiful I really am..." Eddy said, looking at his mom.

"You never were ugly, my son. No child of mine is." Mama Chen said as she stood up.

She walked to her bedroom and before going in completely, she said one last thing.

"If you really don't like your appearance, you could change it. But change it for yourself and no one else. Work hard to satisfy yourself and no one else." She said, closing the door before Eddy could respond.

This was the sign that he should do something to help himself feel satisfied. This is for his own good.

- - - - -

For the three months that Brett was gone, Eddy did everything that he could to avoid Brett and work on himself. He will confront the problem the moment Brett will be here. For now, it will only be him first. This is to make up for the self-hatred he had before. He will love himself now.

So, he did his best to get healthier. He exercised every morning, ate healthier, tried to sleep better and even dressed in clothes he would love. He also tried to dye his hair a beautiful brown color and he loved it on himself. It looked natural and Eddy loved the way it made his complexion look better.

He loved how he was changing and he could only hope that he did this earlier. He was slowly starting to love himself and it feels better. He was happy with what he looked like after years of struggle.

- - - - -

Eddy knew that Brett was about to arrive in a few minutes and he prepared dinner for them. This was the night that he was going to confront Brett. He was dressed in clothes that made him feel more attractive and comfortable in his own skin. He was dressed in black skinny jeans and a button up shirt that correctly hugged his body.

This was contrast to what he would wear when he and Brett met.

He was finished setting the dinner table when Brett entered. He was utterly confused by everything but dropped to his knees and looked at Eddy.

"Eddy, please forgive me... I re-"

But before Brett could finish, he realized the change in appearance in Eddy. He was really attractive now. The type of man that Brett would find in a club somewhere and would want to take him home.

"Oh, your hair and clothes are different..."

"Just decided to try something new..." Eddy said.

Brett can't believe it. His knees were weak so he grabbed a nearby chair and sat down.

"This is so unlike you, Eddy. You're not the same person that I used to know! What happened to him?" Brett asked, flabbergasted.

"I decided to change my appearance. I wanted to feel good about my skin and everything else. I was so insecure before and I'm glad that I actually worked on it while you were in the business trip..." Eddy said, sitting down too.

"But Eddy, I liked you the way you were before!" Brett said as he smiled at the Eddy that was in front of him.

"But I like myself better now, Brett. I know it comes as a shock to you but I'm here to tell you I don't want this marriage anymore. I settled for something I didn't want nor deserve..." Eddy said, looking at Brett, kneeling down in front of him.

"But i-"

"I'm not in love with you anymore, Brett. Which makes me perfect for this marriage, ironically but I don't want it anymore..." Eddy said.

Brett couldn't say anything afterwards... He was so heartbroken and devastated. This was definitely something that he didn't expect after coming home from a three month long business trip.

"Suddenly, dinner doesn't sound so good anymore..." Eddy said as he stood up. "I'll take care of the papers, Brett... I'll be going home now." Eddy said as he gathered some of his things.

"You'll stay with your mom again?" Brett asked.

"Yeah, just for a couple months before I settle into my own place." Eddy said as he walked to the door.

"Can I call you still? When you get home..." Brett asked quietly.

"What for?" Eddy asked as he left, slamming the door behind him.

Leaving a very confused Brett Yang, Brett fell into his knees due to weakness. He didn't even get the chance to tell Eddy that he was just in shock and surprised. He was still in love. He didn't care about Eddy's appearance anymore...