[16] Everything happened so fast

Thankfully, before the boy even fell to his knees, Renee was quick enough to support him.

Before she could even say another word, a nurse came and called the doctor.

"I am sorry. Please excuse me, I have other patients I need to tend to. If you want to see your mother, the nurse will take you there."

The doctor bowed and left.

.
.
.
.

.
.
.
.
.

.

It was no use...

Renee have tried to run after the doctor, but what could she do?

Her body is not even of legal age yet. They won't even take her seriously.

While the boy was crying in front of his mother's dead body, Renee stood silently behind.

Everything happened so fast.

Before the woman could even become her family, she already went and left.

"...mom. Why did you leave?", the boy spoke.

" ..I'm sorry I left home.. ", he sobbed.

"It's my fault. I shouldn't have left and just waited for you."

"...", Renee just stood and listened.

"I don't know what got into me. It's just that...it was already night time.

I thought you were lost on the way so I went out to find you like you did with me..."

The boy held his mother's cold hand and put it on his crying cheek.

"I'm sorry. So wake up, please?"

Renee wanted to do something but she couldn't. She understood his grief.

"That doctor lied right? I know you're just sleeping..."

Contrary to what he said, the boy definitely knew his mother was gone.

...but he couldn't accept it.

He refused to do so.

All his life, his mother was his only....light.

Now this light was taken away from him.

...and it was his fault.

" I should be the one who was stabbed instead of you."

The moment he said that, Renee went and interrupted him.

"Don't even think of taking your own life."

Renee knew these kinds of people really well. This boy would blame himself for his mother's death.

"Do you think your mother would be happy if you do that? She sacrificed for your life and you want to take it in return for that sacrifice?"

"..."

"Your mother may have gone from earth but her love for you stays. She may have left her body but her soul is watching over you. A mother's love is like that. Do you know how heartbroken she will be if you do the thing that's in your mind right now?"

The boy didn't say anything and continued sobbing.

"Ah...I'm not used to this but what I mean is that..I understand you.", she stepped forward and tapped his shoulder.

"I understand your pain and grief. But I don't advise you to do what you have on your mind."

The boy was silent. So, Renee paused and said: "Well....I may not be you and I may be even.....wrong to say that I understand what you feel but...Ah..how do I say this...Holding it in won't help.

Your mother is a great and kind person. You know what she would feel if she knows what you are thinking, right?"

Right when the boy heard her words, his silence broke down and tears were once again flowing so hard.

Renee just patted his shoulder.

...I hope he understood what I meant. I have never tried to console anybody in my life. I just really hope, he would choose to do the right thing.

" ..So just cry it all. Let it all out. Do anything you want. You have the right to do so...but make sure anything you do doesn't hurt yourself, or anyone else.

......I'll be right behind you."

The boy continued to bawl while Renee continued to tap his shoulder.

Hope...

Just like her name, that woman was Renee's hope.

The kindness she showed Renee in those few hours...

Her sincerity...

Hope was someone Renee was sure she could be a family with.

...at least while living in this world.

She came so fast and left just as fast.

...or maybe even faster.

They just met, and she already left.

What would she do?

Renee was fine if she were just by herself. She could just find someplace to sleep and think of what to eat the next day.

But what about this boy beside her?

"...sister.", After a long time, the boy finally calmed down a little and called out to her.

Renee looked at him.

" Would I be taken to the orphanage?"

Renee paused for a while but before she could answer, the boy spoke once more.

" I don't want to go to an orphanage. "

"..."

" ....I'm scared."

Renee stayed silent. That's right...the orphanage...

This boy beside her just said he didn't have any other family so the orphanage will be his destination.

So, scared or not..the orphanage will be the place they'll surely end up at.

Ah...out of all body I could end up in. Why a side character who's even still at the process of puberty.

Well, Renee actually considered just submitting in and go into the orphanage with him. That way, atleast  she could have a place to stay and eat until she is of legal age, but...

..that idea was completely extinguished when she heard a familiar voice...