[22] Darkside

****

A window was opened and the curtains billowed inwards. The fire which was lit on the furnace suddenly blew off due to the strong wind coming from outside.

Thunders roared and it started raining loudly.

A storm was currently happening.

Renee rose from the couch and grumbled. The lightning was extremely striking and the loud bang of thunder awoken her from her light slumber.

Tonight, both of them especially decided to sleep in the living room because it was too cold.

She woke up in the middle of the night and felt quite hungry for midnight snacks.

" Ahh?", Where's the kid?

She glanced at the opposite couch and Hawk's figure couldn't be seen. His pillow had fallen and his blanket also laid messily on the floor.

She slowly sat up and rubbed her eyes.

However, she was shocked when she noticed something on Hawk's blanket. The same thing were also on the floor.

" What in the world of dumplings?! Is that blood?"

BANG!-

Another thunder ranged loudly.

No...

That sound wasn't actually thunder. It was coming from the kitchen!

Renee spranged up and went to the source of the noise.

There, she was met by an assassin pointing a gun at Hawk.

Hawk was holding his left arm and he looked at the man holding the firearm horrifyingly.

It was quite dark, but she could make out these two figures vaguely.

The assassin noticed Renee's presence as he turned around and pointed his gun at her.

Renee did not move.

A beeping noise suddenly ranged from the assassin's pockets and he dropped the gun down.

" You have, again, survived for tonight. Next time, same as always, it's going to get a little harder. ", he said in a tone full of amusememt before dashing out through a window. It was like he was actually congratulating them.

" What in the..."

A small 'thump' sounded from the kitchen as Hawk fell down the floor.

" ugh..", he groaned in pain.

Renee quickly turned on her flashlight and went to Hawk's aid immediately.

Thanfully, the wound on his arm wasn't deep. It was only grazed.

" What happened?", she looked at Hawk's pallid figure. " Are you hurt anywhere else?"

"...no, I'm fine.", he said weakly. " This isn't the first time."

" What?"

" Although he didn't shoot the gun before, he still chased and try to point it at me. Though he would stop once that bleeping sound comes.", he answered.

" What do you mean? What are you saying, 'this isn't the first time'?", Renee was surprised.

" ..I didn't expect him to come tonight. He just came last night."

After hearing this, Renee helped him up and they went back to the living room.

Apparently, the same assassin has beem coming in and out of this place without her knowing. It seemed to have been targetting Hawk especially.