Chapter 21 - Denial

"Mama!"

"I'm glad you decided to show up," the old witch grinned, adjusting her purple turban which complimented her beautiful chocolate skin.

"You look gorgeous, Mama," Loki kissed the woman's hand lightly.

"Of course I do, child," she pats his cheek before calling up the stairs. "Lydia! Loki is here to baby sit you!"

"He's here?!" Lydia tumbled down the stairs, landing on floor like a sitting porcelain doll. "Ouch,"

"Hello, Witchling,"

"Loki!" Lydia jumped up and hugged the god who returned the gesture.

"Can we leave you two to behave?"

"Do not fear, Enchantress, I will make sure Lydia won't burn down the store," Loki chuckles.

"I was more concerned that you would do that," You wink which made him roll his eyes. "Have fun, you two!"

~~~

"So when are you going to ask Y/n out?"

Loki choked on the spoon of soup he was testing, trying to figure out the spices for dinner. "Pardon?"

"When are you going to-"

"I heard you the first time, Lydia, but what makes you think I'd want to do such a thing?"

"Because you really like her? I may be 232 years old but I'm not stupid, Loki," Lydia jumps off the counter and takes a spoon to taste after dragging the chair with her. "Not enough salt," she fixes the soup as Loki cleans up the dishes.

"I admire her, yes, but I do not like her in that way,"

"Bullshit," Loki clatters silverware and glares at Lydia. "Sorry! All I'm saying is that you like her and she likes you, just go for it,"

"Let us be clear, witchling, I do not like her and she definitely does not like me,"

"You're more than 1000 years older than me, and yet you are as blind as a bat!"

"Watch your tongue before I tickle you to death!" Loki threatens as he serves her dinner.

Lydia sticks her tongue out at him as he blows away steam that rose up from his spoon. His eyes glanced at the swirls, snaking upwards towards the light in the quaint kitchen.

But he couldn't keep his lips shut. "What makes you think she likes me? Surely no more than a companion,"

Lydia grinned cheshire-like as she halted the cooling down spell she was performing on her soup. "First off, you were the person she thought of to bring here, she's never brought anymore here to see Mama and I,"

"Well, that would easily be dismissed because I'm a sorcerer,"

"Mhm... well, what about the fact she likes it when you call her enchantress?"

"Does she not like nicknames?"

"She hates nicknames, nearly killed me when I called her a Beldam,"

"Well of course! Beldam is quite a horrible thing to call a magician,"

Lydia rolled her eyes and pondered before clicking her fingers. "Who was the first person she went to when she broke up with Dicktor?"

"No one, she went to her room to Hex him, but I stopped her,"

"You stopped her from doing a spell?!" Lydia let her bowl spill, as the table was moved so suddenly. Loki jumped out his seat and started to pat away the hot soup on his lap.

"Lydia!" He winces at the stinging skin.

"Sorry but you just told me you stopped her from doing and spell and lived!"

"Should I have died a gruesome death?" Loki snarls before clearing up the mess.

"Yes! Once she want's to perform a spell not even Mama Delphine can stop her!" Lydia rushes over to his side as he wringed the soup filled cloth. "She definitely likes you!"

"That's not a valid reason, she was very emotionally drained, she could have just decided not to fight back my protests," Loki reasoned as he wiped down the table .

"You're in denial!" Lydia laughs. "What more evidence do you want? Just ask her out!"

"I am not in denial, and your 'evidence' is insubstantial, so I will not ask her out,"

~~~

Please please please!

All you could hope now is for the traffic to hurry up so you could reach the store sooner and escape this torment.

"I never had the chance to find love, I always focused on my work like you!" Mama continued to knit the sweater she had made on the ride home. "Now, look at me, making sweaters on the way home from Fet Gede for my old apprentice's future husband,"

"Mama!" You nearly crash into the car in front as she smiles. "For the sake of the gods, would you stop that? I am not going to marry Loki! He doesn't even like me!"

"He does, now, focus on the road," she points to the moving cars. She worked in the golden wool as you gripped the wheel tighter. "But back to what I was saying," She sipped at the floating cup of tea by her side. "Make a move before you grow old like me without children or grandchildren to look after,"

"Is Lydia not enough?"

"She is one of the best apprentices I've had, but she isn't my child so it is not the same,"

"I'll try not to be offended,"

"Now, for Christmas, I expect to be invited for the dinner you hold with your housemates, I want to meet everyone,"

"Are you certain? Would you also be bringing Lydia?"

"I could not leave her alone, and I'm sure she would love to see your room filled to the brim with plants and potions,"

"Alright, but I did warn you," The car pulled right up to the shop. "Glad it's not burned down," you mumble before helping Mama out the car and into the store. "Loki! Lydia!"

"Where are they?" Mama placed her knitting kit to the side and ventured to the living room where she saw the two fast asleep on the couch. "Here they are,"

You pushed back the sheer curtains in the doorway and smiled, kneeling down beside the cuddled up two. "Loki," you gently poke his nose causing him to scruff his face and open his eyes to see you.

"You're back,"

"Did you think I'd leave you?"

He rolls his eyes and gets up, slipping away from the young witch. Yet, before he could pick her up to send her to bed, Mama Delphine stopped him.

"She'll be fine, you two go head on home," after a weary look, Mama assured the prince and let the two of you leave.

~~~

Starbursts > Skittles

- Anna ❤️