Chapter 26 - Too cold

Day after Christmas and it seemed the world, or rather New York, had been granted a more sweetly dusted skyline, soft clouds shading the warm sun. Of course this was taken as a reason for the Avengers to wake up as early as possible though it seemed one certain god had been awoken by a pesky flaw.

His blue skin curdled across, taking over the pasty melanin that coated his true form he had grown to despise as instantly as he had found out about it. The dips and carvings which lined his skin from his toes to the crown of his head, passing his crimson eyes which dazzled like rubies.

The cold seemed to trigger this, the rushing winds and uncomfortable drop over night. Loki sat staring up at the monochromatic green ceiling with its passing city shadows dancing like surrealist paintings.

With the dances fading as the sun rose, Loki dug deeper under the covers, his chilling skin refusing to return back to its Asgardian form. Further he sunk, his sheets freezing underneath with each shaky breath he took.

He hated this. The fear of it all. His form, yet as he remembered those kind words you spoke of true forms as such... a cold sweat still broke out, mimicking the beaded ice on the window panes.

As it coursed through his veins, it seemed as though the rest had woken up, cheery as usual from the night before.

Breakfast soaked its smell through the crack under the door, his stomach rumbling and aching for some type of sustenance. With a small sigh, he stalked to the bathroom, hoping to run a hot bath.

~~~

"Perfect weather today," Bruce quips. "I calculate that the north side of Central park would be perfect for a day out... if the wind doesn't increase by 12,"

"And that is why you're my favourite, Jolly Green,"

"Then it's settled, everyone meet in the car in a few," Sam finishes off his pancakes and dashes off.

~~~

No such luck was met with the hot bath. Instead Loki earned a searing pain across his skin which registered only a few seconds too late from a severe burn on his ankle.

He will forever thank his mother for teaching him this simple healing spell!

"Loki!" You knocked cheerily on his door.

"Damn," Loki focused his energy to cast the best illusion he could. The reflection from the frosted windows showing his Asgardian form. "Thank the Norns," his simple sigh stopped when he opened his door.

"Hey, Lokes," smiling softly up at the god, you saw a small shimmer of green along his hair which immediately clicked in your head. Why was he putting up an illusion?

"Hello, Enchantress, why may I do for you?"

"We're all going to the park, which means you too," you had easily slipped by him and dug in his wardrobe for warm clothes.

"In this weather?"

"Exactly," pulling out a thick emerald green coat with a fur collar you pair it with a black turtle neck and some cosy trousers. "Now get changed, we leave soon,"

Loki couldn't bring himself to decline, save himself from the ill fate of his illusion fell. "Of course, my dear,"

~~~

Everyone happily skidded through the streets, steaming drinks in one hand, the other holding onto their partner, though of course this was just Wanda and Vision, surprisingly Nat and Bruce, Tony and Pepper, who had decided to join, and lastly you, Thor and Loki. Of course your hand with Thor's was nothing more than platonic, you couldn't say the same about you and Loki's intertwined digits.

That damn spark he always felt seemed to buzz against his palm, his hand begging to stop trembling. At the same time you hoped your nerves hadn't caused your palms to sweat to an uncomfortable level.

Letting go of Thor's hand you took your floating cup and took a sip before letting it hover again, not noticing you and Loki still holding hands. When you turn to take the blonde God's hand, he was gone, now beside Bucky.

"Now tell me, did Thor learn to teleport?"

"No, I think he's just quick on his feet," Loki chuckles as the park neared. Along the fresh blades laid icy white, just deep enough for snow angels to be indented but not too deep that the snow seeped into the boots worn.

"Pietro! Slow down!" You called at the speedster, using your magic to pop up next to him and catch his collar. "Run faster and you may create enough heat the warm up New York,"

"I'm already doing that with my look, princessa," he winks before kissing your hand and dashing away, leaving a mountain of snow to drop on you.

"Alright there?" Loki flicks away the snow with a single movement of his fingers.

"Cold," you jitter out making him chuckle and place his coat over you.

~~~

I'm sorry for the short chapters

- Anna ❤️