Chapter XXVIII: Guilt (2)

OLIVIA

"Who's the little girl!" Lucas yelled out, parrying an attack from an enemy who was decked in black.

With the Aqua member losing his balance — wasting no time to take advantage of this weakness — the tip of Lucas's blade soon reached his opponent's neck as he brought his sword across it without hesitation.

Blood splattered to the ground, staining my long dress due to the close proximity.

In my arms, Sophia was trembling with fear. Though she could not see what was happening, she surely could hear the painful moans that echoed throughout the town hall.

With a grimace, heartbroken that a young child was experiencing this, I replied,

"...It's Sophia. Clear a path towards that alleyway."

I commanded, wanting to quickly take her away from this battlefield.

"Sophia?" His eyes widened, but they soon focused on my command.

He sliced through numerous enemies, successfully opening a pathway for us to escape.

However, he was still being pressurised by the incoming wave of opponents, so he shouted,

"Take her there first! I'll catch up shortly."

At his words, I sprinted with all my might towards the alleyway. Upon arrival — breathing heavy, I was met by a dark and narrow space.

Luckily, I spotted the outline of a large rubbish bin that could easily conceal the two of us away from hostile eyes.

Just as I was about to take a step towards safety, however...

"Where do you think you're going, princess?"

The voice was awfully sinister, and clearly not on our side.

I froze.

This was the worst case scenario that could happen. I don't have a weapon, Lucas would still take some time to come and...I had a child with me.

I had to do something, and fast — to ensure both of our survival.

Judging from the volume of his voice, he probably can't tell from that distance that I'm carrying Sophia.

So...

"Sophia, listen to me. I'll be putting you down now,"

The sound of heavy footsteps edged closer.

"Hide behind the large bin. Close your eyes. And you must not make a single sound, no matter what. Do you hear me?"

Though still shivering, she nodded. I set her onto the ground. As soon as she disappeared into the darkness, I felt a sense of relief.

But that relief quickly faded as there was a harsh yank on my silver-coloured hair.

I inhaled sharply at the pain that shot through scalp and soon my back collided into the man's chest.