Chapter X: Hidden Meanings

a/n: the Queen's gonna appear in this chapter i wonder what she's like?

OLIVIA

As soon as Prince Jaemin sets me down onto the carriage's seat, it goes into motion.

"Hold on, we're leaving?"

I say in a tone of disbelief, turning towards him who calmly sat down opposite of me.

"No worries. There will be a few injured, but nothing fatal." His lips curved into a knowing smile.

I was way too tired to think straight. "How do you know that?"

"Our attackers are merely mercenaries from the Kingdom of Gadenish. Just as you said, they have started to act."

I widened my eyes in realisation, my earlier weariness diminishing.

"Did you know that this was coming?"

Prince Jaemin's smile faded, his midnight blue orbs meeting mine.

"If I said yes, would you be mad?"

"Of course I would." I deadpan, responding without a second thought. If they knew what was going to happen and still led danger to my home...

It was unacceptable.

"Mmm," He hums in interest, grin returning to his lips.

"And if I tell you Marquess Crawford was already aware of this?" The second prince raises his brow, eyeing my reaction.

"He, what? When did you..."

"Right after you agreed to be Mark's partner,"

I stare at him, dumbfounded, in silence. They act fast.

So he knows that Prince Mark and I aren't really getting married. Though, it's to be expected.

"Also, your family and staff members will be relocated to another mansion. There's not going to be any issues."

My eyes darted out the window. "Is that where we're going now?"

"No," His orbs followed mine. "We're heading to the palace."

And as if on cue, the trees that were on both sides of the carriage cleared, replaced with the view of the majestic castle.

__________________________________

JAEMIN

Upon arrival to the palace, I ordered the maids to bring a basin of ice cold water and a change of clothes to my office.

Lady Olivia sat on the cream white couch, her hair in an obvious wreck, eyes drowsy — she was clearly trying to fight her exhaustion.

Crouching on the carpeted floor before her and pulling the basin under her feet, I asked,

"How did you end up spraining your ankle?"

"Your Highness—

Realising that I had positioned myself in a way that she was looking down at me, something that was considered disrespectful, her eyes widened in shock.

"Stay still," I gently brought both her feet towards the basin, submerging them into the cold water.

"You're a doctor, you should know that treatment comes first."