Chapter VII: Alliance

THIRD PERSON

"Is where you come in." The crown prince gestures his black gloved hand towards Olivia.

"You want me to be your Crown?" She says in near disbelief — expecting it, but couldn't quite trust.

"That's right." He withdraws his hand, leaning back against his black velvet chair.

She scoffs. "And if I refuse?"

"You won't." He answers with such confidence, causing her to doubt herself.

"...So you have terms that benefit me."

"Correct." He nods.

"Very well. I'll hear you out, Your Highness." She chooses to take a seat for now.

Prince Mark presses the back of his palm against his lips, suppressing his grin, noting her change in attitude towards him once again.

Clearing his throat, he leans forward, elbows on his table.

"First of all. When news of the King's assassination gets leaked, they'll be many consequences. As you've said it yourself, it would be no surprise that the Horcrush Kingdom will invade us. Insurgents who are against me being the King will also be after me — someone who has no heir, much less a queen by my side."

"I can't restore the Kingdom to its original state on my own. The late King was well-loved, so there will be distrust towards the royal family. That's why...to appease my people, I need your help. You, who has the trust of the people because of your deeds. Moreover..."

He casts his eyes downwards, a look of wistfulness crossing his features.

"You must already know of my parentage. The people will, without a question, doubt me."

He keeps it brief, but Olivia knew what he meant. Everyone in the Kingdom knows that the King was not the crown prince's father.

They knew the minute he was born. His eyes weren't a midnight blue — a trait that every Prince should possess. It was a colour that was exclusive to the royal bloodline.

And since he wasn't the King's flesh and blood, it would only be assumed that he was the one who brutally assassinated His Majesty.

"...I get where you're coming from, and why you chose me. But I'm adamant about getting married. And I most definitely don't wish to be Queen."

Olivia had a better candidate in mind, and that was Matilda. She's elegant, beautiful, and most importantly, she was a great friend. Someone who could stand up for her most surely could stand up for the Kingdom.

"I know. I'm not actually asking you to be the Queen. Just act as my fiancé. Your highest title will be Crown Princess, I assure you. I'll break off the engagement when I've sorted things out."

"And how long would that take?" Olivia shifted her body to face the prince.

"Six months. Once it's all over, I'll give you an official title and some land. You do get what I'm proposing, right?"

He'd give me a title? Olivia thought to herself in astonishment.

In this present world, it would be difficult to not get married at all. Even if she doesn't want it, the chances of her getting married in the future was arguably, high.

If she was given a title, though, that would change things. Even a mere Viscount title would be enough for her to live without marriage. It's a very attractive deal.

However...

"You should be aware I'm still underage." Her pretty azure orbs met his dark, black ones, but he seemed unfazed.

"Precisely. It's your coming-of-age this weekend. I'm planning to announce it then." The corner of his lips lifted into a tiny smile, as if knowing it would shock her.

"What? You're planning to announce it? It's in three days!"

"The sooner the better." He drawled out, smile still lingering on his lips.

She exhales softly. "Fine. I'll only accept the deal on one more condition, though."

Prince Mark rests his chin on his open palm, attentively listening, his smile disappearing.

"What is it?"

"Allow me to work simultaneously as a doctor. That's all." Her serious gaze settled on his expressionless face.

He narrows his eyes, but eventually says,

"Alright. But your doctor work comes second."

________________________________

D-1 to coming-of-age

All sorts of food were spread out on the long dining table, ranging from seafood, meat dishes and customised drinks to dessert.

The array of food signified an important celebration for the House of Crawford. Their lady was going to be of age the very next day.

Prior to the invitation-only event that would be held tomorrow at the Crawford estate, today was a mini celebration for the Crawford family.

"Let us hear from the birthday girl, shall we?"

Marquess Owen Crawford, Olivia's father, suggests as they started to clear out the plates.

"Oh, um..." Olivia purses her lips, feeling oddly nervous. She had delayed telling her father and brother about her 'engagement' for two days already.

There was no more dragging it out.

Breathing a sigh, her lips parted to speak, somewhat hesitant. "Actually, I have an announcement. Please don't be too surprised by it."

Two of them looked on with great interest.

"I..." She glances at Jeno who sat opposite of her. "I'm going to get en-engaged."

Olivia managed to breathe out, staring at her empty plate.

"What?" Jeno instantly exclaims. "Who, why?"

She bit her lower lip.

"Is this true, Via?" Contrary to Jeno's frantic tone, her father was calm.

She nods.

"I see. It must be the first Prince then." 

Surprisingly, Owen Crawford had not much of a reaction.

"Y-Yeah. Why...aren't you asking me anything?"

"Well...I've heard things from the palace. Maybe you changed your mind."

Heard things from the palace?

Olivia thought to herself. It must be the Prince's doing again.

"I'm sorry, dad."

She apologised, feeling apologetic for many things. He had to go through the hassle of talking to the Prince about her removal as a candidate, and now...she's lying to him.

"What for? Just make sure you're happy, okay?"

He caresses her head, gentle smile plastered across his face.

"I...will. Thank you." Olivia meant it with all her heart.

She better had. Because little did she know that she would end up experiencing all sorts of things that a typical twenty year old girl wouldn't.

Well...

Except for falling in love.

And a few hours from now, she would announce her engagement to the state's most eligible bachelor.

_______________________________

a/n: here. we. go.