Chapter IV: Demise

a/n: updaaate! hurray?

THIRD PERSON

Olivia slowed down upon seeing the snowy white library doors to catch her breath. She had managed to get past the palace guards at the main gate by seven, but...

Her gaze settled onto the silhouettes of the two royal guards standing before the entrance to the library.

Yes, she was late. It was very much past seven now.

Watching the sky slowly turn into a dark purple, she pondered on her next moves. It wasn't a compulsory thing to have those documents, though she usually had the habit of reading up on a patient's condition before every appointment.

Eventually, she came to a decision to approach the guards. With a sigh, she walks right towards the two of them. Mentally, she scolded herself for being so careless.

Considering how both knights were dressed in blue, they were likely from the second contingent. Her father's.

Upon seeing her approach, the taller of the two asked,

"Lady Olivia? Why are you here?"

She recognised him. When she was younger, she did like to visit their trainings.

"Sir Johnny. Well, I...left something of mine in the library. May I retrieve it?"

Johnny stiffened at the question.

"Oh...I'm afraid the library is out of bounds now. Sorry about that."

"I see. Alright." She nodded, despondent, starting to turn away from them.

But then she stopped short when the doors started to open.

Olivia widened her eyes in surprise as her gaze locked with dark blue orbs.

As soon as he fully steps out of the room, the two guards immediately dip into a bow.

"Greetings, Your Highness."

She quickly snapped out of it and curtseyed.

"Yes, hello." He returned a greeting, leaving the door behind him slightly ajar. Olivia subsequently lifted her head to look at him since she felt his gaze on her.

"Your Highness? Is there...a problem?" She spoke up hesitantly.

He smiles. "No, nothing. I apologise for staring. I was simply, marvelling your beauty,"

For some reason, he stressed the word 'marvelling'.

Seems like the rumours of the Prince being a smooth talker was right. Though...she would be lying if she said her heart didn't flutter just a little.

"So, what brings you to the royal library at this time?"

"Well, I—

Just as she opened her mouth to explain, another voice interrupts as the door is pulled open abruptly.

"Who are you talking to, Jaemin?"

Out came the Crown Prince, clad in dark clothing from head to toe. His jacket hung loosely around his shoulders where he wore a black dress shirt underneath and tapered pants.

The guards once again lowered their heads, and she followed suit. After he dismissed their greetings, his black eyes then landed on her.

"...Oh. Lady Olivia?" He didn't seem surprised at her appearance. "Are you here for your documents?"

"Documents?" Prince Jaemin's confused eyes darted to his brother's.

"Have you seen them, Your Highness?" Olivia asked, in a tone of anticipation, unintentionally seeming...adorable.

Her cerulean eyes sparkled with hope.

The Crown Prince averts his gaze. "Yes...they're currently on my desk. Would you like to get them?"

"Well, yes! May I?" Her excitement — or rather, her relief, flooded her.

Prince Jaemin snickers. The older of the two shoots a discreet glare, then returns his orbs onto the silver haired lady.

"Of course. Follow me."

______________________________

OLIVIA

"Thank you, Your Highness."

I took the stack of papers in my hands.

"It's no problem. Make sure there's nothing missing."

I did as he suggested, flipping through my notes on the patient and such. Thankfully, there weren't any missing pages. And it's a good thing that there wasn't any strictly confidential information on these documents.

When I finally returned to the cover page, I realised that I never wrote my name on any of these pages, so...

"How did you know this was mine?"

I queried.

He had been walking to the couches located at the very center of the library, but he came to a halt as soon as I asked.

"Um..."

He started, though...

An urgent voice suddenly came from outside the door.

"Your Highness! This is an emergency! May I enter?"

Swiftly, he turned his body towards the door and gave the cue to enter.

"What's going on? What is the ruckus for?"

He asks, as a panicked knight burst through the door.

"I-It's the king, Your Highness! The king...His Majesty has been assassinated!"

"What?!" His reaction was instantaneous. I gasped.

"His Majesty's aide had found him in the study, just earlier..."

He lowered his head and explained.

Prince Mark's jaw visibly tightened. It took a while for him to respond.

"...I got it. Ensure nobody leaves the palace," He discreetly glances in my direction. "But get a carriage for Lady Olivia to send her home."

"Understood, Your Highness!"

And with that, the knight rushed out of the library.

Prince Mark ran a hand through his dark coloured hair, then turned to regard me.

"Lady Olivia,"

He laid his sharp gaze on me. "It seems that you're here at an unfortunate time. Before you leave, I have a request."

I didn't need him to tell me what he was implying.

"I know. I won't breathe a word."

____________________________