Chapter VI: Conflict

OLIVIA

"Via! Via, open the door." A muffled voice filled with a sense of urgency came from outside my bedroom door as I was halfway through brushing my hair.

"What's wrong...?" I stood up slowly, hem of my light blue dress brushing against the ground, corset tight around my waist.

Opening the door, I'm met with my frantic looking brother. His silvery hair was tousled, and he seemed to be catching his breath, beads of sweat dripping down his forehead.

Though, rather miraculously, his red military outfit — from the first contingent — remained neat and tidy.

Golden lines traced the outline of his blazer, his rank prominent on his shoulders, buttons of the same colour.

His perfectly ironed long pants reached just past his ankles accompanied with a pair of heavy, black boots that are well polished.

"What happened? Did you run up here?" I asked, worried.

He swallowed hard, taking in a deep breath. "Have you seen the papers?"

It took me a few moments to process his sudden query. I shook my head.

"No."

"You're splattered across the front page. Something about you saving the life of a patient with cholera? And that you managed to prevent further infections."

"Huh?" I frowned, brows knitting. It's true that I helped someone with cholera, but prevent further spread? I didn't do that.

"Now the media is pegging you to be the Crown Princess. Your popularity shot up overnight. And I'm afraid...that for now, you can't drop out," Jeno's voice softened towards the end, clearly illustrating his worry.

"Will you be okay?"

With his question, I could only nod. I didn't like it, but worrying my brother was just not it.

My brows were still drawn together, thinking.

Overnight? Someone must've tipped them off, and fast. But who? Who would have the power-

"The prince?" I mumbled under my breath, realisation dawning me.

"What was that?" Jeno asked, picking up my murmur.

"It's nothing," I quipped, quickly getting over the topic.

"Are you heading to the palace now?"

"Yeah." He nods.

"Can I come with you?" I queried, head titled to a side.

"Of course...but why?" Jeno frowned in concern.

"Ah...well, I just thought I'd do some reading to clear my mind about all this." I cast my eyes away from his, randomly coming up with an excuse.

That was far from the reason why I wanted to visit the palace.

Jeno regarded me, a small pout on his lips. He brings his large hand to my head and caresses it softly. "...Okay. If there's anything you need, just tell me."

_______________________________

OLIVIA

I watched as the sun starts to set in the horizon, sky a shade of crimson.

I've been in the royal library reading for nearly half a day now, waiting for this moment to arrive. The seven o' clock point.