Chapter XIII: Funeral

THIRD PERSON

The sky lost it's usual calm blue, replaced with the dreary grey. Dark clouds loomed overhead, lighting flashing across the horizon which was soon followed by the threatening sound of thunder.

The heavy, once cotton candy-like clouds, started to cry. Rain viciously pelted down from above, beating the black umbrella Olivia was covered by.

Today was a sacred day, the day where the entire country would weep for their late King.

"Olivia," Lucas spoke above the sound of the rain, holding the umbrella over her. "Maybe you should head back inside, it's not compulsory for you to be here."

His Majesty's casket had just arrived at the graveyard, his funeral procession ongoing. This part of the funeral could only be attended by members of the royal family.

And technically speaking, she wasn't one yet. So she could opt to come, but had no obligation to.

A chilly breeze brushed against her cheeks, a black cape over her same coloured clothes to shield her from the rain.

She watches as the casket is lowered into the ground, soil gradually filling up gaps.

After this was done, any member of the family could come up front to pay their final respects.

Olivia wouldn't since she wasn't ever going to be an official royal member, so it would be out of place to do it. However, the King was still well-loved by the state. And she didn't have bad memories with him, either.

She shakes her head. "No, it's fine. I'll stay and watch."

When she answered Lucas, Olivia glanced at the people standing front and centre the crowd of family members.

Prince Mark and Queen Marleen. The former wasn't with her now because he had to escort his mother instead.

So she, together with Prince Jaemin and Lucas, were standing towards the back.

Then her eyes moved towards the Second Prince who was standing beside her, wearing an expression of disinterest.

Due to the strong breeze, raindrops splattered onto his chiselled face, yet he paid no mind to it, simply watching the procession in silence.

He had every right to stand with his half-brother and the Queen, but chose not to.

"What is it?" Without turning his head, he asked, probably sensing Olivia's eyes on him.

Realising she'd been unintentionally staring, she quickly turns away.

"Well...um," By this time, the royals were going up one by one to say their final words.

"Aren't you going to pay your respects, Your Highness?"

Prince Jaemin's eyes remained on the process going on. He had a pensive look on his face, seemingly considering his next words.

"...No."

He articulated, a rare frown on his lips.

"Why?" She queried without much thought. The King was his birth father, and now was his last time to address him.

Olivia couldn't comprehend, especially since she knew how it felt like to lose a parent.

The prince's face stiffened, then relaxed into a half-smile.

"Curious?" He finally turns his gaze on her, as she does the same, beads of rain invading her azure eyes.

She flinched in response and Prince Jaemin chuckles, hand reaching out and pulling the hood of her cape over her eyes.

"I suppose I can tell you,"

He says, glimpsing at Lucas, then back at Olivia.

"You see, my parents...they may be better off as strangers." The prince loosened his grip on her hood, letting go.

"Strangers?" She repeated, head lowered to prevent the hood from falling back.

It was unimaginable. The bonds with parents are said to be unbreakable, and yet, he was likening them to strangers?

"Yeah, only ever came to see me for official affairs. Never in private, on their own accord. The same was for Mark, but he's...different."

There was a slight tone of vulnerability in his voice as he spoke.

He's never shared this with anyone before, because his life only ever revolved around the royal palace. People in the palace already knew of this fact, so there was not a need to voice it.

Therefore, Olivia was the first he has ever told. He decided that he could trust her enough to confide in her.

"Oh...I see," Upon hearing his words, she was unsure of how to reply. It took her a while to properly process her thoughts.

"Even so, Your Highness..." She raised her head a little, enough for her to see the grave.

"I think His Majesty cared for you. In areas you can't see."

She believed that bonds between people — especially familial ones between a parent and a child — wasn't so easy to completely destroy.

Even if it was hanging by a single thread, it's still there.

And if the late King was well-loved by people across the country, it said a lot about his character. He wasn't a bad man. If he could love his nation, then he also had the capacity to love his children.

Perhaps it was just her naive thinking, but even in death...traces of parents will always remain in the hearts of the children, unseen.

Prince Jaemin considers her words, orbs turning to Queen Marleen as the thunderstorm gradually receded.

He whispered, just enough for Olivia to hear,

"...Yeah, maybe."

_________________________________