Chapter VIII: The Announcement

a/n: and so jaemin makes a return

MARK

"You're absolutely mad, brother." Jaemin, his arms crossed, says as he leans against the wall beside my bedroom's door.

"It's for the security of the state, Jaemin." I deadpanned, adjusting my collar and cuff links while looking into a mirror.

"That's not what I meant," Shaking his head, he pushes himself off the wall.

"Knowing Jeno, he's going to be infuriated."

We exchanged glances through the mirror's reflection, and I sighed.

The two of us came to know Jeno since we all had the same swordsmanship mentor — and that was Marquess Owen Crawford.

"I'll cross that bridge when I come to it." I turned on my heels, picking up my sword from the sofa and attaching it to my hip.

"You're bringing your sword?" He raises a brow in question.

"As a precaution. Rumours have already started to float around about the King's assassination. During the event, anything can happen."

Jaemin hums. "Hmm. Being as cautious as ever. Personally, I think you shouldn't worry. I'm coming along, after all."

A smug grin plastered across his face, he heads to the exit.

As he opens the door, back facing me, he adds in amusement,

"Hurry up, it's your engagement announcement. You should be more excited."

_______________________________

THIRD PERSON

The main hall was littered with streamers, confetti, and balloons. The delicious scent of food wafted across the large space, plenty of people engaging in small talk and whatnot.

A small stage was set up at the very front. Guests were notified of a crucial announcement that was not to be missed, but they didn't know what it would be about. Not yet.

The entire Crawford mansion transformed overnight, and it was all due to a single maiden.

Olivia Crawford stands nearby the stage. Her wavy, silver hair was left untied, falling past her shoulders.

Her fringe was beautifully braided with a sea blue band that matched the colour of her orbs.

Her outfit was a clean white off-the-shoulder dress that reached above her knees, lacing wrapping around her shoulders and it was slightly tight fitting, effectively showing off her body shape.

Her look was finished off with a silver necklace with a star pendant that belonged to her mother and a pair of white heels with ribbons on them.

In contrast to the collected vibe she gave off, internally, she felt extremely jittery.

It was already nearing the climax of her event. She had already told her close friends, Renjun and Matilda about the contents of her announcement.

They were most certainly surprised. And now, she has to announce it to the rest of the Kingdom.

A sudden commotion from the front door snaps her out from her daunting thoughts.