Chapter III: Disturbance

MARK

"I thought you'd be here, Your Highness."

Following the voice, the sound of footsteps echoed throughout the large space. Without looking up from my book, I already knew who it was.

Though there was electricity available, I didn't bother to turn it on. After all, moonlight filtered in through the windows. In a way, that felt calming to me.

"Spare the formalities. It's not like you."

I flipped a page, still not bothering to turn away from the book.

"Really now? You do know I'm technically your political enemy," The footsteps come to a halt a short distance away from me. I was presently standing in front of a large shelf filled with books.

"Crown Prince." He added.

At the mention of my title, I stopped skimming through the words before my eyes.

"And you know I don't view you that way," I responded after a while, and finally, turned my attention to the newcomer who, obviously, entered the royal library without permission. It was past seven o'clock. No one other than me could be allowed to enter.

"What are you here for, Jaemin?" I closed the book.

The brown haired lad standing before me wore white-themed clothing, paired with an earring that dangled beside his face. His midnight blue orbs were fixed on mine.

"It's about the current state of events."

"About the Kingdom of Gadenish? I never thought of them as a threat, but I think you might be right to be wary." I told him, thinking back on how some reports had shown suspicious activity within the borders of Gadenish.

The King isn't even dead, yet they're acting strangely...

My thoughts were interrupted as Jaemin speaks in a tone of matter-of-factly.

"I wasn't the one who figured that out. It was Lady Olivia." He reveals.

It took me a few seconds to comprehend. This scenario...it wasn't an idea from Jaemin?

"Lady Olivia?" I repeated.

"Yes," He confirms with a firm nod. "Can you believe it? She was clearly not feeling well that day, yet merely took a little while to come up with that idea. Lady Olivia is something, huh."

An impressed smile graced his features, an expression that was rarely seen on Jaemin's face. I would be lying if I didn't feel stunned by his reaction.

Though, I wasn't too surprised to hear that Olivia was the one who crafted that possibility. I have heard of her smarts before since she was one of the Crown Princess candidates.

She has impressive stats and background that could have nominated her as the first choice for the title of Crown Princess, but she was lacking in the aspect of the fine arts that most women possessed.

The fact that she had learnt to wield a sword instead of a needle and a thread also did not appeal to the bureaucracy, though I found no fault in the former.

And why do I remember this? Because her father, Marquess Owen, had recently summited an appeal for her. About how she would like to be withdrawn as one of the candidates.

A brief silence ensued between the two of us, before I replied,

"....Is that so?"

"Why would I lie?" He shrugged, his arms crossed as he leans against the bookshelf beside me.

"Hmm," I turned away from him as well, returning the book in my hands back to its rightful place.

"Well, you didn't just come here to tell me that, did you?"

"You know me too well, Brother. Of course, I also came here with details regarding that matter..."

_________________________

OLIVIA

"Doctor Olivia. The patient that's supposed to see you next week has requested for an earlier consultation slot for tomorrow. Would that be fine?"

Just as I was removing my crisp white coat and prepared to leave the hospital, the head nurse of Winter Hospital asked me.

Winter Hospital — it was not the most well-known hospital in the Kingdom, though it has subsidies from the renowned House of Snow. My mother's maiden home as well as Matilda's family.

I was currently attached to this hospital.

"Tomorrow?" I made a mental scan of my schedule for the next day. "Sure. I'm free during the first slot in the morning."

I hooked my white coat onto a rack.

"Alright. I'll notify Countess Emily right away." The nurse nods, turning away from me.

"Hold on, please," I stopped the nurse in her tracks. She turns around and faces me with a curious look.

"Could I get my files regarding Countess Emily's condition? I'd like a look before her review tomorrow."

I asked politely with a smile. The nurse did not return the same expression, to my surprise.

In fact, she frowned. "Pardon me if I'm wrong, but...just last week, you asked for her files and took them home. I don't recall you bringing them back..."

She seemed slightly apologetic.

Last week? Last week...ah, the day after the second prince's coming of age. I had been feeling unwell that day too...but I didn't leave anything on my desk...

I pondered on it for a moment. I mentally replayed all of the places I've been on that day and...

"Oh, yes. It seems I've left them in the royal library..." I mumbled to myself, involuntarily biting my lower lip. The sky outside was gradually turning darker, and seven o' clock wasn't too far away.

"Olivia?" The nurse now seemed worried after noting my tense expression.

I simply flashed her a comforting smile, then quickly bid farewell to her.

I still have some time...I think I could make it. To the royal library.

____________________________

a/n: hm...thoughts?