Chapter XXVII: Guilt

OLIVIA

The Queen Mother had just left my bedroom, with Mark standing in the doorway, spaced out after she whispered something to him.

I titled my head in question, curious as to what he had heard to react in such an unexpected way.

Before I could speak, sonorous laughter interrupted the silence.

"Brother, you should listen to the Queen Mother well."

The brown haired prince emerged from behind Mark, his deep blue eyes sparkling in amusement.

Unlike Jaemin who was overflowing with laughter, Mark shot him a glare.

"You didn't hear anything."

"Oh, but I did,"

Jaemin looked at me with a devious smile, stepping into my room. "Want to know?"

Mark quickly cleared his throat. "We came here for a reason."

The prince nodded.

"Yeah, because you were worried-

"—About new information we have about the Aquas."

Mark cut his younger brother off, closing the door behind him with haste.

"Information?" I questioned as Jaemin's leather shoes clacked against the ground, approaching me.

He set a roll of parchment on the coffee table before us, then proceeded to take the sofa opposite me.

As I unravelled the piece of document, Mark soon joins us by plopping himself onto the couch that the Queen Mother had sat on.

The seat at the front and centre of the coffee table.

"A map?" The pad of paper revealed a map of the infrastructure located near the palace.

Namely — the town hall, church and market place where citizens would shop for their daily necessities.

"Yes. We have received news that the Aquas may potentially strike during the event that you and I will be part of."

"Do you mean where we'll be in the town hall, handing out presents to the children during the festival?"

"That's exactly it."

What? They'd even risk children getting hurt...?

I frowned, lips pursed into a thin line in displeasure.

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"Well," Jaemin shrugged. "We say it's new information but it's mostly speculation."

Speculation. So, they weren't sure...but I could understand why they came to this conclusion.

"If they were bold enough to interrupt our engagement announcement and even..." I gulped, face falling.

"...Kidnap me, I can see why they'd take this chance."

Mark's expression seemingly darkened at my words, but he still replied nonetheless.