Chapter 31

".. God damn right you should be scared of me.. Who is in controllll"
You sung your heart out as you cleaned the floor from any blood stains that had remained from previous days.

It was just you and Ian, still no sign of Jerome but you diverted your attention to other things that needed sorting. You would clean while dancing around the house and played with Ian who giggled and smiled every time. Ian was the only person you could trust anymore seeing as he was only born a day ago.

"And all the kids cried out, please stop you're scaring me I can't help thi-"

You were cut off by the sound of your phone ringing from across the room. "Seriously, who's interrupting my song?" You walked over to the phone asking Ian as if he would answer.

"Hello?" You picked up the phone and spoke with an irritated tone. "Easy gorgeous, it's just me" Jerome's voice returned through the line, filling your ear with his tone. "J? You're alive?" You were shocked to hear him for the first time since you left him with Jim.

"You thought I was dead??" Jerome's confused, almost hurt voice echoed back as if questioning your thought process. "Well I had no idea, last I saw, you were with Jim Gordon and his partner. I heard absolutely nothing from you for all I knew you could've been arrested or left for dead!" You were filled with mixed emotions, half of you was angry he decided to only call after making you wait in fear for hours but the other half was relieved to know he was ok.

"I know I'm sorry love, something happened that wasn't part of the plan but it's dealt with now. Come to Oswald's manor, there's a car waiting for you outside, we've got business to discuss" Jerome said goodbye and hung up leaving you to call the babysitter back and make your way to him alone.

-----------

Indistinct voices could be heard bouncing off the walls as you approached the manor and proceeded down the hallway you once remembered walking along.

"....This is Grundy. He will make a welcome addition to the team" At last you could make out the words that were being said and Oswald's voice was the first.

You halted at the end room and stood in the doorway, watching everyone inside. There was of course Oswald and Jerome but accompanying them were Crane, 'fire Lady', a larger discolored looking man who you guessed was Grundy and evidently a dead body sprawled out across a chair.

You stared at Jerome who walked up to Grundy "Mhmm, Mhmm.. I like him, he's scary. Good thinking Mr. Oswald. Nice to meet ya big fella" He punched him friendly in the shoulder but quickly pulled his fist away, massaging it "ow" He muttered.

Simultaneously, you began hearing noises advancing behind you. Turning round, you saw the rest of the people from the meeting days before, 'ice man' and the late arrival, pushing a new business man along the hallway.

They smiled at you as they reached the door and walked in "ah y/n come join us" Jerome had finally spotted you as he turned to the doorway. You walked in and stood up against the wall remaining silent.

"Ah, test subject?" Jerome shifted his attention back to the three men that just came in. At last you got to hear what this mystery man sounded like as he responded to Jerome, pulling the business man towards him. "Here to test your plan, an unwilling business man" Your heart dropped the second you heard his voice.

Your mind flashed back to when you were standing over the edge of a building ready to jump among hundreds of others. It was him, that voice that hypnotised you all. Jervis Tetch.

Jerome yanked the man towards Crane as he pleaded not to be hurt but all you could think about was Tetch and how dangerous he was. With everything that was happening, no one seemed to notice your panic, no one except Oswald. He watched as your breathing quickened and your legs began shaking. You felt as though you were back on top of the tower, inches from falling to your death.