Chapter 22

A couple days had passed and slowly but surely you were recovering. The bullet missed any vital parts of your foot so the healing process was shorter and less painful. You were still taking medications for the pain and had to keep check on it but gradually, you were regaining strength.

The house seemed extremely empty and quiet without either Jerome or Liam there. No sounds of Liam crying or giggling, no Jerome and his sarcastic humour, hell you even missed some of the arguments. Alice was barely with you due to work. Instead it was just you and the faint sounds of the outside world creeping in. If there was any time to feel entirely alone, it would be now.

Normally you would have Liam around for some form of company but with him gone too, you were left was just nothing.

Alice had reluctantly agreed to you visiting Jerome, knowing how much you missed him but she was still worried. It was visiting hours at Arkham and so you took the opportunity to go down there. Grabbing your crutches and aiding yourself to the door, you took your belongings and headed down to the Asylum.

Nerves slowly built up inside you, the same way they had done the very first time you went visiting Jerome.

There were the gates and the guards surrounding it. The pathway leading up to the entrance was a long and painful one; inmates howling at you, guards judging you.

"Name?" You entered the building and funny enough, the same woman who spoke to you last time was sitting in the same place doing the same thing. Looking up she recognized you instantly "oh, it's you. I'm guessing you're here for Mr. Valeska" You nodded in agreement. Once again she motioned to a guard and almost as quickly, he came and walked you down the corridor and away.

You were experiencing major déjà vu walking down the hallway, inmates whistling at you and shaking their barred doors. "I'm surprised you've stuck with him this long" The guard spoke up, breaking your chain of thought "excuse me?" You responded, confused.

"Well, you're pretty big round here. The woman he hasn't killed.. Yet. The one he loves. Quite frankly I don't know what you see in him" Before you had time to answer he stopped you at the same room you visited Jerome in before. "I'm sure you know the rules by now" The guard gave you a sarcastic smirk and sent you in.

There he was, head bent down, sitting in front of a table. "Come to gloat have ya" He spoke the minute the door closed behind you. "No actually, I came here beca-" "What happened to your foot?!" Jerome cut you off as soon as he lifted his head and saw the state you were in.

"My father. He. Shot me, and.. Took Liam" Jerome's face twisted in anger "I'm going to kill him" He snarled to himself.
You tried to change the subject as you sat down carefully in front of him.
"I see they stitched on your face" You smiled at him but he continued to stare at the ground. "What did you do to your hair?" It was at that moment when you noticed his hair was bleached almost blonde and the sides were shaved. It was awful.

"I've got some contacts in here. They do my bidding" Jerome finally looked you in the eye for the first time.

"I hate to say it, but I told you so" You laughed, holding out your hand for Jerome to hold. He rolled his eyes but took your hand in return.

The pair of you stared at each other for a few seconds, as if taking in each other's presence "I've got a plan" You finally broke the silence.

"Shoot" He replied, not breaking eye contact. "I have no idea when you'll be let free, and I can not bare not being with you again. So, I've been thinking, what if I become an inmate too" You smiled and fell silent waiting for Jerome to reply, but he didn't.

Jerome stared at you in disbelief. "Jerome?" You called out for him. Nothing. "Jerome seriously answer me".

"It's a crazy idea. You don't know what these inmates are like. You won't last five minutes" Jerome's voice was rough and low. You felt sick knowing Jerome didn't think you were strong enough.
"I can take it" Jerome shook his head.

"Do you not want me here?" Your voice was soft and hurt. Jerome squeezed your hand "of course I do love, I just think it's too dangerous" You pulled your hand away and stared at the ground. "I thought you knew me better than this. You out of all people should know I'm capable" You pushed the chair back and went to stand up but you felt Jerome's hand pull you back down.

"Alright fine. I'll make sure no one messes with you. But how will you get in here, I don't want you doing something stupid" It felt as though a huge weight had been lifted off your chest hearing Jerome on board with your plan.
"If you can get hold of a woman's outfit I can dress up as one of them and dye my hair, use makeup etc. It won't fool them for too long but hopefully it'll give us enough time to plan an escape" Jerome nodded and smiled the evil smile he gave to people when he knew something bad was going to happen.

"I can get hold of a phone so I'll call you when it's time but we'll have to wait until your foot has healed enough so you don't need crutches" You nodded your head and smirked. This was the first time you had teamed up with Jerome voluntarily to do something bad and you loved it. The adrenaline, the secrecy. Everything.

The guard had walked in ready to take you away. "Oh and wipe that smile off your face" You spoke back at Jerome, standing up. "I can't! It's stitched on you prick" You sniggered to yourself as you winked at Jerome before being escorted off the site.

-----------

Weeks passed and your foot was healing nicely. The doctor had said that the cast was ready to come off in two days and you should be able to start walking on it again. You visited Jerome regularly to check on him and to give your mind some form of sanity but all you could think about was getting into Arkham and being with him permanently.

You had decided not to tell Alice otherwise she'd never allow it to happen and you weren't going to put her through all the stress and worry unnecessarily.

The next day came and you had already informed Jerome of when the cast was coming off. You visited the hospital one last time and they removed the bandages and cast. It was time to walk on it for the first time.

You stepped off the bed and placed both feet on the ground. Carefully you put weight on both and soon you were standing up straight with both legs supporting you. "Take it easy. Try walking to the door and back, if it hurts too much stop" The nurse held your arm and stood next to you as you lifted your foot.

One, two, three! You took a step and sure enough you were walking on both feet without falling. There was still pain with each step you took but it wasn't enough to stop you from walking.

You were dismissed from the hospital with more medication for the pain and miraculously, you managed to walk all the way home.
Almost as if he knew, the phone began ringing the second you shut your front door.

"Hello gorgeous, you ready?"